KP's Reviews > Ashes

Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

Apr 27, 12

Read in April, 2012

Ashes, by Ilsa J. Bick, is a 450 page haunting tale filled with delicious horror and frightening details. Bick has woven a story in which you fall in love with her characters and have no problem following them through a harrowing journey. The heroine, Alex, a girl who has honestly faced most everything you can imagine, begins the book on one very specific journey-a hard and emotional one. But after the Zap occurs, Alex’s journey becomes more than she bargained for as the world seems to be coming to an end. Her fight to survive takes on a completely different meaning as she enters a new world with new rules and new people. Between the Changed, Awakened, Spared, and Chosen, Alex must watch her back carefully and decide who is and isn’t worthy to be trusted. Add a young girl to watch over and not one, but two boys pulling her heartstrings, and Alex has a lot of weight on her shoulders and hard decisions to make! Don’t worry, though. Alex is chock full of amazingness. She’s a powerful girl filled with courage and a freakish amount of knowledge on surviving in the outdoors. You will find yourself rooting for Alex, Tom, Ellie, and even Chris as you take the journey along with them. You’ll also ask yourself some hard questions while you read. What would you be able to handle, and could this really happen? One thing I’m thankful for after reading Ashes is that zombies don’t really exist. Although you might question that after reading this book too. I’m not sure what’s going on in Bick’s mind, but I definitely want more of it. I can’t decide if I want to take her to dinner or watch her from afar after reading this book! If you aren’t afraid of suspense, horror, and gore, this is definitely a book for you. If you love books that take twists and turns you never see coming, this book is one you must read. Bick changes things up when you least expect it and keeps you hollering for more by writing with a perfect balance. Just when you start to breathe again and get comfortable, Bick decides to throw in one more thing that you didn’t know was even possible. Ashes is dark, edgy, and thrilling. It’s gutsy. It’s heart-stopping straight to the very last page. In short, it’s a pretty fantastic read. Be prepared to get nothing done around your house. Go ahead and warn your family and friends that they might not see much of you until you’re finished with it. It will be worth it though. Published by Egmont, this book is brilliant. I give it 5 out of 5 books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes.