Lynne's Reviews > Appaloosa

Appaloosa by Robert B. Parker

Jul 10, 11

Read from July 06 to 10, 2011

There were several things I liked about this book. I found that the way Parker used the appaloosa stallion as a metaphore for the main character was very clever. I really liked the relationship between the main character, Virgil Cole, and his sidekick, Everett Hitch. The way they talked to and understood each other was very well developed and enjoyable. I will definitely read more in the series because of the two main characters. Finally, the story was interesting once it got going.

What I really did not like about this book was that it seemed to me that Parker was a bit lazy when writing it. I know that he is a very prolific writer but it did seem that although he had an interesting story to tell, he didn't work very hard at telling it. First of all, the chapters were very short, which in and of itself would not bother me, but each chapter started and ended in the middle of a page and the print was pretty large. If printed differently, this was probably more of a novella than a book. The other thing I found lazy and so annoying that I almost gave up on the book was the fact that almost every bit of dialouge, and almost the whole book was dialouge, ended with the word "said". I finally started skipping that word as it was having the same affect on me as nails on a chalkboard. I assume that someone who writes as many books as Mr. Parker does is fairly wealthy, and I suggest that he buy himself a thesarus.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Appaloosa.