Ed's Reviews > Hombre

Hombre by Elmore Leonard

Jul 10, 11

Recommended to Ed by: Not sure where I got this rec from
Recommended for: fans of traditional Westerns/general readers
Read from July 09 to 10, 2011

Loved it. Certainly a classic Western as it's often touted, Hombre was published in 1961. It is Elmore Leonard's only first person point-of-view novel, according to his 1989 Introduction to The Armchair Detective Library edition I read. Believe it or not, my local public library still shelved it in their holdings. The Apache-raised white John Russell is a perplexing protagonist given his stoic, pragmatic outlook. I liked the narrator's voice, brisk pace, steady build up, and gut-felt climax. Did I say I dug Hombre? I've seen the movie Hombre with Paul Newman, also, which is also quite excellent.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hombre.

07/09/2011 page 100
48.0% "Good stuff! Love it."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Now I have to go look for it at my Library!

message 2: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed Joyce wrote: "Now I have to go look for it at my Library!"

Cool. Hope you like it as much as I did! Pick up my books, too. ;-)

message 3: by Joyce (new)

Joyce I'll look. It's a small library, but surprisingly good!

Kidgreg I read this book a couple years ago. Its one of Leonard's best westerns, probably THE best of them.
But what what has always stuck with me is the movie adaption which was also very good, but of course, Paul Newman had the starring role. Not sure he that he ever made a bad movie.
I saw it one lazy afternoon summer when I was a teenager while visiting my grandmother. Great memories.

message 5: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed Kidgreg wrote: "I read this book a couple years ago. Its one of Leonard's best westerns, probably THE best of them.

Right. The young Newman in Hombre reminded me of his role in the also excellent Hud. Thanks. Makes me want to rewatch both movies.

Tfitoby how did it compare to the paul newman movie ed?

message 7: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed Tfitoby wrote: "how did it compare to the paul newman movie ed?"

I saw the movie first and I pictured Newman the entire time I was reading the book. From what I recall, the movie is pretty true to the book. Both good stuff.

Tfitoby Excellent. I just saw the movie for the first time and listed it as highly recommended on my blog. This makes the hunt for the novel even more desperate.