Ayesha's Reviews > Epic Fail

Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnik

Mar 26, 2012

bookshelves: recommended-to-me, classics-mythology-and-their-lovech, favorites, kindle-for-iphone, own
Read from August 17 to 19, 2011

The problem with many lovechildren of the classics is that either they a) fail to live up in any way to the original idea, or b) use the same names and personalities in completely the wrong ways. Especially the many and myriad lovechildren spawned by Pride & Prejudice

It pleases me immensely to inform you that Epic Fail suffers from neither of these shortcomings. Yes, obviously it was a P&P lovechild, but it had a flavor and a heart all its own. LaZebnik does a smooth, fresh job of staying true to only the bare bones of the original. Derek's only a douche about 25% of the time, Elise is gutsy but kind, Jules is her perfect sweet self. And Chase is his usual clueless self. Chelsea is gratifyingly evil; I enjoyed having all the ills between the acknowledged lovers -not- blamed on poor hapless Darcy for once. Even Wickham is just your normal high school a**hole, as opposed to a total reputation-ruin-er.

And thank you, Claire LaZebnik, for this young, fresh, sexy, sincere Darcy to fall in love with all over again. <3

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Epic Fail.

Quotes Ayesha Liked

Claire LaZebnik
“Juliana's a year older than me, but she sometimes seems younger - mostly because she's the opposite of cynical and I'm the opposite of the opposite of cynical.”

Claire LaZebnik
“Everyone at Coral Tree Prep was good-looking. Really. Everyone. I didn't see a single fat or ugly kid all morning. Maybe they just locked them up at registration and didn't let them out again until graduation.”

Claire LaZebnik
“He was wearing a plain white oxford unbuttoned over a T-shirt, but something about the way they fit made him look put together, like an Abercrombie model (well, like an Abercrombie model who had remembered to put on a shirt that morning).”

Claire LaZebnik
“He only invited me because of you and Chase.'
'Right,' she said, following me inside. 'He's never shown the slightest interest in you before. I mean, he's never stared at you like you're the only person in the room when we're all together. Or sulked around for days because you turned him down for a dance. Or touched the sleeve of your sweater when he thinks no one's looking-'
'He's never done any of that,' I said. Then, less confidently, 'Has he?”

“And Derek was... what?
A pair of dark eyes that hid more than they revealed and some broad shoulders and a mouth that could be cold and thin and then suddenly widen into a generous grin just when you thought such a thing was impossible.”

Claire LaZebnik
“You wouldn't think the touch of someone's hand could blow your mind. It's nothing, right? People don't right songs and poems about holding hands - they write them about kisses and sex and eternal love. I mean, when you're a little kid you hold hands with your parents to cross the street. Who's going to write an ode to that?
We were alone in the dark, even though the enormous theater was filled with probably a thousand people. We were a tiny island in a sea of other people who didn't matter, who had no meaning, who were so stupid, so oblivious, so stuck in their own boring lives that they didn't even notice the huge, momentous, life-shattering event that was taking place right there in row L, between seats 102 and 104.
Derek Edwards was holding my hand.”

Claire LaZebnik
“No one's family is normal. Normalcy is a lie invented by advertising agencies to make the rest of us feel inferior.”

Claire LaZebnik
“I got lost in him, and it was the kind of lost that's exactly like being found.”
Claire LaZebnik, Epic Fail

08/17/2011 "Aaaah so excited to read this one!"