Teresa's Reviews > The Notebook

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

Aug 01, 11

bookshelves: all-my-love-for-one-book

ZOMG, this could quite possibly be the world's best love story of all times!!!!

I've always loved Nicholas Sparks and each one of his books equally, but this time, it seems like he shined the most when he wrote The Notebook. This could be my favorite Nicholas Sparks book ever, and that's saying something. Trust me. Everything in this book is just simply beautiful; from the passionate romance between Allie and Noah to the lovely, lyrical poetry and love letters that make the story even more enduring than it already is. I especially love the storyline; how fate tore them apart at the beginning, how they met again after years of separation, how they didn't expect to but yet they fell in love all over again, and how their love triumphs over the obstacles (coughLoncough) in their way. I admit, I cried at the end when they (I think) died together, and that was probably one of the hardest, saddest thing I ever read in my life. I simply adore the film, as well. To me, the movie was better than the book, because in the movie Allie and Noah had more connection and chemistry, but hey I loved the book just as much as the book, just less than. Anyway, here's my review:

I adore the beauty of the love of Allie and Noah. It's soo beautiful, inspiring, powerful, and just simply magical. They both taught me a lesson about miracles, poetry, art, and long-lost-then-found-again love. To me, what shaped them both up and made them realize they still love each other is that they inspire each other to life. Like how Noah encouraged Allie to draw and paint again (and that turned out to be her career, thanks to Noah's inspiration.). And like how Allie inspired Noah to poetry. All in all, I simply love the steamy, pure romance between our two beloved main characters. And I wasn't one bit surprised to discover that Allie chose Noah over Lon and that they both married. I'll bet that Allie chose Noah because their love is so amazing that it'd be a damn shame to waste it out on someone else she doesn't really love. Anyway, a two thumbs up for Allie and Noah!!!!

I'd like to praise the immense poetry and letters in here. Never once in my life did I ever read a book that was full of memories passed down by love letters and lyrical poetry. I want to thank Nicholas Sparks, becuase he was the one who originally made me fall in love with poetry. Ok, I know,I know he wasn't the one who originally wrote the poems, but I must say that he has good taste. Each poetry was sensual and made me think about miracles and falling in love. Each love letter made me well up with tears and spoke at some romantic inner part in me that I didn't know I had. All in all, those were a beautiful addition to an already beautiful book that just made it even more...B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L lol. xD

Ok, so I was so not expecting the elderly man and woman to end up as Noah and Allie. I honestly didn't. But I was pleasently surprised,and I figured that they were simply recalling the story of their lives. Sadly, never understimate a NS book like I did. Dammit, I thought for once NS wouldn't write a tragedy book, but when I read that Allie got Alzmeirer (I don't know how to spell it), a deadly disease that makes the brain forget memories of the past. To me, that was simply a tragedy all on its own. I felt for Noah. His pain was soooo intense, so real that I felt it, too. I wish I didn't, because it only ended up making me depressed (but I guess that's the whole point of a Nicholas Sparks book). However, I loved the fact that Noah tried to restore his wife's memories by reading "the notebook"... They said in the book that Allie was improving a bit everyday, and doctors were awestruck as to why, since she should be getting worse and worse. To me, there were greater forces at work. Sometimes love could be even stronger than the deadliest disease. In other words, I believed Noah's love for her and Allie's love for him helped restore her memories from time to time. 3 3 3

OK, in conclusion, this book was brilliant and magical. I loved the film just as much, and I believed it should be considered one of the country's (if not the world's) greatest love story yet. Fuck Romeo and Juliet. Fuck Bella and Edward. Move aside, cause the crown that goes to Best Couple Of All Times goes to Noah and Allie, duh. If you hate this book, then you must be incredibly blind and have no heart or soul. I'm not even into romance a lot, and even this book managed to touch my heart, and not a lot of books could. That's just how damn awesome this book is!!!!!!!! :DDD

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Notebook.

Quotes Teresa Liked

Nicholas Sparks
“I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough..”

Nicholas Sparks
“So it's not gonna be easy. It's going to be really hard; we're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me... everyday.”

Nicholas Sparks
“An ordinary beginning, something that would have been forgotten had it been anyone but her. But as he shook her hand and met those striking emerald eyes, he knew before he'd taken his next breath that she was the one he could spend the rest of his life looking for but never find again. She seemed that good, that perfect, while a summer wind blew through the trees.”

Nicholas Sparks
“Noah: "You wanna dance with me?"
Allie: "Sure. Now?"
Noah: "Mmm Hmm"
Allie: "You're not supposed to dance in the street."
Noah: "You are supposed to dance in the street."
Allie: "Yeah, but we don't have any music."
Noah: "Well, we'll make some... Bum bum bum bum bum bum..."
Allie: "You're a terrible singer."
Noah: "I know."
Allie: "And I like this song.”

Nicholas Sparks
“Every great love starts with a great story...”

Nicholas Sparks
“You are, and always have been, my dream.”

Nicholas Sparks
“They didn’t agree on much. In fact, they didn’t agree on anything. They fought all the time and challenged each other ever day. But despite their differences, they had one important thing in common. They were crazy about each other.”

Nicholas Sparks
“We fell in love, despite our differences, and once we did, something rare and beautiful was created. For me, love like that has only happened once, and that's why every minute we spent together has been seared in my memory. I'll never forget a single moment of it.”

Nicholas Sparks
“A living poem" had always been the words that came to mind when he tried to describe her to others.”

Nicholas Sparks
“Our lives can't be measured by our final years, of this I am sure.”

Nicholas Sparks
“We sit silently and watch the world around us. This has taken a lifetime to learn. It seems only the old are able to sit next to one another and not say anything and still feel content. The young, brash and impatient, must always break the silence. It is a waste, for silence is pure. Silence is holy. It draws people together because only those who are comfortable with each other can sit without speaking. This is the great paradox.”

Nicholas Sparks
“It is life, I think, to watch the water. A man can learn so many things.”

Nicholas Sparks
“You can't live your life for other people. You've got to do what's right for you, even if it hurts some people you love.”

Nicholas Sparks
“I love you. I am who I am because of you. You are every reason, every hope, and every dream I've ever had, and no matter what happens to us in the future, everyday we are together is the greatest day of my life. I will always be yours. ”

Nicholas Sparks
“You are my best friend as well as my lover, and I do not know which side of you I enjoy the most. I treasure each side, just as I have treasured our life together.”

Nicholas Sparks
“In times of grief and sorrow I will hold you and rock you and take your grief and make it my own. When you cry I cry and when you hurt I hurt. And together we will try to hold back the floods to tears and despair and make it through the potholed street of life”

Nicholas Sparks
“You are the answer to every prayer I've offered. You are a song, a dream, a whisper, and I don't know how I could have lived without you for as long as I have.”

Nicholas Sparks
“She would tell him what she wanted in her life--her hopes and dreams for the future--and he would listen intently and then promise to make it all come true. And the way he said it made her believe him, and she knew how much he meant to her.”

Nicholas Sparks
“Poets often describe love as an emotion that we can't control, one that overwhelms logic and common sense. That's what it was like for me. I didn't plan on falling in love with you, and I doubt if oyu planned on fallin gin love with me. But once we met, it was clear that neither of us could control what was happening to us. We fell in love, despite our differences, and once we did, something rare and beautiful was created. For me, love like that has happened only once, and that's why every minute we spent together has been seared in my memory. I'll never forget a single moment of it.”

Nicholas Sparks
“If you're a bird... I'm a bird...”

Nicholas Sparks
“Poetry, she thought, wasn't written to be analyzed; it was meant to inspire without reason, to touch without understanding.”

Nicholas Sparks
“Dusk is just an illusion because the sun is either above the horizon or below it. And that means that day and night are linked in a way that few things are there cannot be one without the other yet they cannot exist at the same time. How would it feel I remember wondering to be always together yet forever apart?”

Nicholas Sparks
“In time, the hurt began to fade and it was easier to just let it go. At least I thought it was. But in every boy I met in the next few years, I found myself looking for you, and when the feelings got too strong, I'd write you another letter. But I never sent them for fear of what I might find. By then, you'd gone on with your life and I didn't want to think about you loving someone else. I wanted to remember us like we were that summer. I didn't ever want to lose that.”

Nicholas Sparks
“What are we after all our dreams, after all our memories?”

Nicholas Sparks
“My daddy said, that the first time you fall in love, it changes you forever and no matter how hard you try, that feeling just never goes away.”

Nicholas Sparks
“She was my dream. She made me who I am, and holding her in my arms was more natural to me than my own heartbeat. I think about her all the time. Even now, when I'm sitting here, I think about her. There could never have been another.”

Nicholas Sparks
“a person can get used to anything if given enough time”

Nicholas Sparks
“The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected. Maybe they always have been and will be. Maybe we've lived a thousand lives before this one and in each of them we've found each other. And maybe each time, we've been forced apart for the same reasons. That means that this goodbye is both a goodbye for the past ten thousand years and a prelude to what will come.”

Nicholas Sparks
“And when I came in with tears in my eyes, you always knew whether I needed you to hold me or just let me be. I don't know how you knew, but you did, and you made it easier for me.”

Nicholas Sparks
“My Dearest Allie. I couldn't sleep last night because I know that it's over between us. I'm not bitter anymore, because I know that what we had was real. And if in some distant place in the future we see each other in our new lives, I'll smile at you with joy and remember how we spent the summer beneath the trees, learning from each other and growing in love. The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds, and that's what you've given me. That's what I hope to give to you forever. I love you. I'll be seeing you. Noah”