Erin's Reviews > Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M.: Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and the Dawn of the Modern Woman

Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M. by Sam Wasson

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: book-club, entertainment, nonfiction
Recommended to Erin by: Shelly Miller
Read from July 09 to 10, 2011

My Amazon copy won't get here in time for book club, so Michele shamed me into downloading. I am a sucker.

First, not two hours after I downloaded this book to my iPhone, the UPS man arrived with my copy. Crap.

I LOVE books about movies and the entertainment industry, so this book was my type of thing. However, I wasn't crazy about Wasson's choppy paragraphs and sections, and he seemed to gloss over what, to me, would have been the most interesting parts - Audrey remains mainly a cipher, George Peppard was hated, but I would like more details and I could and would read a whole BOOK on what the always entertaining Truman Capote had to say about the movie and all its stars. So, it was entertaining, as far as it went, but it was a trifle. And the "dawn of the modern woman" part? There is a lot about how nobody wanted to play a "call girl" and two paragraphs about the founding of MS. magazine.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M..