Racquel's Reviews > Frostbite

Frostbite by Richelle Mead

Aug 01, 11

bookshelves: favorites, ya, read-in-2011, tear-jerker, vampire, book-boyfriend♥, funny
Read from July 09 to 12, 2011 — I own a copy

This book made me want me to beat myself for not starting the VA series earlier. I regretted not devouring it the day it came out (I didn't even know about the series then) but I didn't waste any time to eat it all up from cover to cover in a day (if food and going to the bathroom and sleep weren't necessary it would have been hours) the sequel to Vampire Academy is even better, it begins a few weeks after the Victor drama is over.

So many things in this book made me want to kiss it and cuddle it to sleep like how Rose is still the utter badass she is but that doesn't mean she didn't grow up because totally did, she has a new look on all things thanks to Victor but really her badass attitude was still there and that is what makes me love her so so much. Most heroines are misunderstood beings and don't have have Rose's sharp tongue, all their is to them is wit that the hero brings out off them but Rose is such a breath of fresh air it's near impossible not to like her.

Next thing is Dimitri and the romance, it's also fresh because of the whole seven ysar gap but also Dimitri is so collected and mature. I think now what makes heros so loved is their sarcasm and sexyness like for instance Jace from The Mortal Instruments (I love Jace) but here Dimitri doesn't have to be super sarcastic and witty for me to love him, all he needs is to reads his cowboy novels and I melting from lust XD and I forget to add his about the kickass-est guardian around!

I think the best thing about Mead's writing is her ability to create such well done, 3D characters like Lissa, Christian, Mason, Rose's mom, Tasha and ect. They're all so real it's kinda unfair for that many great characters to be in one book.

It was so nice having Rose's mom, Jenine in the book and how Rose went from hating her to some what liking her and oh gosh *spoiler* when she went to her mom and started crying I teared up! Mason death hit me then and it showed how the relationship between her and her mkm grew!

I loved how Rose's jealousy over Dimitri is what set off this entire plot. The 180 degree turn she took from liking Tasha to hating her made me LOL and I found it believable, hell I was jealous of Tasha!

Even though Mason's death is utterly sad I found it necessary because it shows how dangerous the Strigoi are and being a guardian is no game. Also it was the factor that made Rose and Lissa bond with Mia and not just anything pitiful like a heart to heart convo because it would have taken much more since Mia really despised them.

*sigh* I probably read the last couple of pages of the book about a million times, the conversation between Dimitri and Rose is the best yet, it makes my heart skip a beat!!

Overall this book outdone its prequel and I'm sure people who weren't too sure about Vampire Academy will definitely be a fan of the series after reading this book!

So don't be dumb like me and READ IT!

-thank you&come again.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frostbite.

Quotes Racquel Liked

Richelle Mead
“Not into older guys, huh?" asked Adrian once we were alone.
"You're imagining things," I said. "Clearly, my stunning beauty has clouded your mind.”

Richelle Mead
“Well, she was talking to me. That's enough to make anyone lose their temper. And I accused her of sleeping with my dad because he was the soundest evolutionary choice.”

“what's your name?"
what?" i asked, squinting at the light.
your name." I reconized Dr. Olendzki peering over me.
you know my name."
I want you to tell me."
Rose. Rose Hathaway."
Do you know your birthday?"
Of course I do. Why are you asking me such stupid things? Did you lose my records?"
Dr. Olendzki gave an exasperated sigh and walked off, taking the annoying light with her. "I think she's fine,”

Richelle Mead
“There's nothing worse than waiting and not knowing what'll happen to you. Your own imagination can be crueler than any captor.”

Richelle Mead
“You know what would help?" I asked, not meeting his eyes.

"Hmm?"

"If you turned off this crap music and put on something that came out after the Berlin Wall went down."

Dimitri laughted. "Your worst class is history, yet somehow, you know everything about Eastern Europe."

"Hey, gotta have material for my jokes, Comrade." Still smiling, he turned the radio dail. To a country station.

"Hey! This isn't what I had in mind," I exclaimed. I could tell he was on the verge of laughing again.

"Pick. It's one or the other."

I sighed. "Go back to the 1980s stuff."

He flipped the dail, and I crossed my arms over my chest as some vaguely European-sounding band sang about how video had killed the radio star. I wished someone would kill this radio.”

Richelle Mead
“Belikov is a sick, evil man who should be thrown into a pit of rabid vipers for the great offense he commited against you this morning."
"Thank you." I said primly. Then, I considered. "Can vipers be rabid?"
"I don't see why not. Everything can be. I think. Canadian geese might be worse than vipers, though."
"Canadian geese are deadlier than vipers?"
"You ever try to feed those little bastards? They're vicious. You get thrown to vipers, you die quickly. But the geese? That'll go on for days. More suffering."
"Wow. I don't know whether I should be impressed or frightened that you've thought about all of this.”

Richelle Mead
“That's pretty hot," he said.
"Punching me in the eye?"
"Well, no. Of course not. I meant the idea of getting rough with you is hot. I'm a big fan of full-contact sports."
"I'm sure you are.”

Richelle Mead
“Everyone has light around them, except for you. You have shadows.”

Richelle Mead
“Sweat isn't a bad thing," he said, leaning his head against the wall thoughtfully. "Some of the best things in life happen while your sweating. Yeah, if you get too much of it and it gets old and stale, it turns pretty gross. But on a beautiful women? Intoxicating. If you could smell things like a vampire does, you'd know what I'm talking about. Most people mess it all up and drown themselves in perfume. Perfume can be good...especially if you get one that goes with your chemistry. But you only need a hint. Mix about 20 percent of that with 80 percent of your own perspiration...mmm." He tilted his head to the side and looked at me. "Dead sexy.”

Richelle Mead
“I steeled myself for the next response. I knew it was going to be one of the Zen life lessons. [...]
Instead he kissed me.”

Richelle Mead
“It’s okay. Everything’s going to be okay. You can let go of the sword."
"I can’t. I can’t leave him alone. I have to protect him."
"You have.”

Richelle Mead
“I've heard a lot about you, Rose. Don't worry. It was all good."
"No, it wasn't.”

Richelle Mead
“The other problem in my life is Dimitri. He's the one who killed Natalie, and he's a total badass. He's also pretty good-looking. Okay—more than good-looking. He's hot—like, the kind of hot that makes you stop walking on the street and get hit by traffic.”

Richelle Mead
“I think you smoke them so you have something to do while thinking up your next witty line."
He choked on the smoke, caught between inhaling and laughing. "Rose Hathaway, I can't wait to see you again. If you're this charming while tired and annoyed and this gorgeous while bruised and in ski clothes, you must be devastating at your peak."
"If by 'devastating' you mean that you should fear for your life, then yeah. You're right." I jerked open the door. "Good night, Adrian."
"I'll see you soon."
"Not likely. I told you, I'm not into older guys."
I walked into the lodge. As the door closed, I just barely heard him call behind me, "Sure, you aren't.”

Richelle Mead
“Do not do that again," he said stiffly.
"Don't kiss me back then," I retorted.
He stared at me for what seemed like forever. "I don't give 'Zen lessons' to hear myself talk. I don't give them because you're another student. I'm doing this to teach you control."
"You're doing a great job," I said bitterly.”

Richelle Mead
“What do you mean 'most of the damage happened to my face'?"
She gestured to the mirror above the sink on the far side of the room. I ran over to it and looked at my reflection.
"Son of a bitch!”

Richelle Mead
“Rose? Is that you?" I peered behind him. Lissa. "What are you doing here?"
"What are you doing here?" She asked
"Ladies, ladies" he said teasingly. "No need to fight over me."
I glared. "We're not.”

Richelle Mead
“I have my sources." Somehow, saying I'd heard it from my mom sounded less cool. "You've decided, right? I mean, it sounds like a good deal, seeing as she's going to give you fringe benefits..."
He gave me a level look. "What happens between her and me is none of your business," he replied crisply.
...
Dimitri arched an eyebrow, then jerked his head back where we'd come from. "You hang out in his room a lot?"
Several retorts popped into my head, and then a golden one took precedence. "What happens between him and me is none of your business." I managed a tone very similar to he one he'd used on me when making a similar comment about him and Tasha.”

Richelle Mead
“Adrian laughed just then, a weird kind of laugh that made my skin crawl. "Young girls? Young girls? Sure. Young and old at the same time. They've barely seen anything in life, yet they've already seen too much. One's marked with life, and one's marked with death…but they're the ones you're worried about? Worry about yourself, dhampir. Worry about you, and worry about me. We're the ones who are young."

The rest of us just sort of stared. I don't think anyone had expected Adrian to suddenly take an abrupt trip to Crazyville.”

Richelle Mead
“Good God. Men everywhere.”

Richelle Mead
“It was a lame excuse, and I knew that wasn't the reason he was canceling. If he wanted to avoid me, I would have preferred he made up something about how he and the other guardians had to up Moroi security or practice top-secret ninja moves.”

“Little Dhampir”

Richelle Mead
“What matters is that someone—that you—know me that well. When a person can see into your soul, it's hard. It forces you to be open. Vulnerable. It's much easier being with someone who's just more of a casual friend.”

Richelle Mead
“Dimitri was on a first name basis with one of the most badass guardians around. Of course, Dimitri was pretty badass himself, so I shouldn’t have been surprised.”

Richelle Mead
“Rose only hangs out with guys and psychopaths," said Mia.

"Well," he said cheerfully, "since I'm both a psychopath and a guy, that would explain why we're such good friends.”

Richelle Mead
“I felt like someone had ripped my heart out and tossed it across the other side of the room. There was a burning, agonizing pain in my chest, and I had no idea how it could ever be filled. It was one thing to accept that I couldn't have Dimitri. It was something entirely different to realize someone else could.”

Richelle Mead
“It was impossible to get the Dimitri and Tasha thing out of my head, but at least packing and getting ready made sure I didn't devote 100 percent of my brain power to him. More like 95 percent.”

Richelle Mead
“I should go," I said thickly. "Let me know when you want to start practice again. And thanks for...talking."

I started to turn; then I heard him say abruptly, "No."

I glanced back. "What?"

He held my gaze, and something warm and wonderful and powerful shot between us.

"No," he repeated. "I told her no."

"I..." I shut my mouth before my jaw hit the floor. "But...why? That was a once-in-a-lifetime thing. You could have had a baby. And she...she was, you know, into you..."

The ghost of a smile flickered on his face. "Yes, she was. Is. And that's why I had to say no. I couldn't return that...couldn't give her what she wanted. Not when..." He took a few steps toward me. "Not when my heart is somewhere else.”

Richelle Mead
“It's late, I'm tired, and your cigarettes are giving me a headache," I growled.

"I suppose that's fair." He drew in on the cigarette and let out the smoke. "Some women think they make me look sexy."

"I think you smoke them so you have something to do while thinking up your next witty line."

He choked on the smoke, caught between inhaling and laughing. "Rose Hathaway, I can't wait to see you again. If you're this charming while tired and annoyed and this gorgeous while bruised and in ski clothes, you must be devastating at your peak.”

Richelle Mead
“I hadn't gotten far when I ran into Mason.
Good God. Men everywhere.”

Richelle Mead
“Wow. What'd he do to deserve that? Rescue orphans from a burning building? If so, you might want to make sure he didn't set the building on fire in the first place.”

Richelle Mead
“I'll see you later Roza."

"At our next practice?" I asked. "We are starting those up again, right? I mean you still have things to teach me."

Standing in the doorway, he looked over at me and smiled. "Yes. Lots of things.”

Richelle Mead
“This isn't a Christmas special! This is my life. In the real world, miracles and goodness just don't happen.”

Richelle Mead
“Who else is going?" I asked.
He shrugged. "Just you and me."
My mood promptly shot up past 'cheerful' and went straight to 'estatic.' Me and Dimitri. Alone. In a car. This might very well be worth a surprise test.
"How far is it?" Silently, I begged for it to be a really long drive. Like, one that would take a week. And would involve us staying overnight in luxury hotels. Maybe we'd get stranded in a snowbank, and only body heat would keep us alive.
"Five hours"
"Oh."
A bit less than I'd hoped for. Still, five hours was better than nothing. It didn't rule out the snowbank possibility, either.”

Richelle Mead
“Rose: "If you'd teach me to swear in Russian, I might have a new appreciation for it."Dimitri: "You swear too much already."Rose: "I just want to express myself."Dimitri: "Oh, Roza… You express yourself more than anyone else I know."- Rose Hathaway & Dimitri Belikov (Frostbite)”

Richelle Mead
“I'd accepted a while ago that there were too many reasons for me to even think about him romantically anymore. Every once in a while, I slipped a little and kind of wished he would too. It'd have been nice to know that he still wanted me, that I still drove him crazy. Studying him now, I realized he might not ever slip because I didn't drive him crazy anymore. It was a depressing thought.”

Richelle Mead
“Too bad. Family members hit you by accident. Psychopathic whores tend to come back for more.”

Richelle Mead
“What's going on?" I sat down on the bed and finished the last of the scone.
"Bad things," she said mischievously. "You'll approve.”

Richelle Mead
“Aw you'd never hurt me. My face is too pretty. -Adrian Ivashkov”

Richelle Mead
“Well. Like I said, I dont want to fight anymore. I dont want us to hate each other. And ... well ... I squeezed my eyes shut and then opened them. No matter how I fee about us ... I want you to be happy”

Richelle Mead
“He's hot like, the kind of hot that makes you stop walking on the street and get hit by traffic.”

07/09/2011 page 76
23.0% "Oh Dimitri, how I love thee."
07/09/2011 page 113
35.0% "Oh Rose, how I also love thee. But Rose & Dimitri together? it's too amazing!! I must take moment to collect my thoughts, I love them!"
07/09/2011 page 137
42.0% "Adrian Ivashkov, it's nice to meet you."
07/11/2011 page 223
68.0% "God I love Rose & Dimitri one-on-one talks! They make my heart skip a beat...."
07/11/2011 page 324
99.0% "is it possible that I fall in love with Dimitri with every word he says? these last 4 pages of the book are EPIC!"