Melissa's Reviews > The White Lioness

The White Lioness by Henning Mankell

Jul 17, 11

Read from July 09 to 17, 2011

It's interesting to read a detective story that involves world events in the mid-1990s, and realize that technology has changed oh-so-much since then. The "willing suspension of disbelief" was a little harder to attain in this book, primarily because I'm an American reading this book a Swedish man set primarily in South Africa. It's not entirely unbelievable, but at times, I felt myself wanting to read a book a little more similar to the first Wallander book, Faceless Killers. Mankell does a better job here of providing perspective and moving the plot along than he did in the Dogs of Riga, but the reader still feels as though he's slightly out of his element. It is obvious he's passionately interested in occurrences outside of Sweden. In all of the first 3 books in the Wallander series, he does seem to be including some type of appeal to his fellow Swedes to broaden their world views. At this time, Mankell was still something of a fledgling author, so I'm going to continue the Wallander series and give him the chance to improve even more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Lioness.