Jessica (Sugar Coated Book Reviews)'s Reviews > The Summoning

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

Jul 11, 11

bookshelves: best-characters, books-i-own, favorite-covers, favorites, ghosts, witches, zombies
Read from July 09 to 10, 2011

This book doesn't get nearly as much credit as it should. This is one of my favorite series, another reread, but I had forgotten about it. When I had finally gotten the third book, I decided to reread the whole series again and man, I'm glad I did. There wasn't a dull moment in this story.

Chloe Saunders is motherless with an always out-of-town father. Shes short, skinny, and quite boring. Then one day, she wakes up from a terrifying nightmare about seeing ghosts in a basement when she was younger. When she gets to school, she calls to tell her Aunt about the dream and her Aunt tells her she needs to talk. On her way to the bathroom, Chloe starts her period and puberty is slammed into her when all of a sudden, she leaves the bathroom, a custodian with a burned face starts chasing her down and she realizes it's a ghost. Obviously, no one else can see it so she is sent to a group home and diagnosed with schizophrenia. Excluding herself, others in the home have "special" powers and Chloe is left with questions and in need of answers when a ghost at the home is trying to get in contact with her about the past of the Lyle House.

I loved this story, I finished it in two days. I could NOT put it down. Chloe is a believable character. Thank God that she is a skinny, tiny little strawberry blonde and not some curvy, long black haired busty girl who hit puberty way before she should have, like in other books. The story just keeps rolling, there isn't a spot where you want to put it down. I took the book into the bathroom with me 'cause I couldn't put it down. Armstrong had a story to tell and told it beautifully. Now I have the next book and I'm ready to see what Chloe and her friends are up to. I highly reccomend this book to the 14 and up age group. Some scenes scared me a teensy bit but, that could just be because I am a scaredy cat. But who knows.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summoning.

07/09/2011 page 1
0.0% "Another reread to catch up with the series. I did love this series very much. Hopefully this will be a slight improvement from the last book I read.."
show 1 hidden update…