Sofia's Reviews > Young Avengers: Ultimate Collection

Young Avengers by Allan Heinberg

Jul 09, 2011

bookshelves: comics, marvel, action-packed, loved-the-mcs
Recommended for: People who don't mind teenage-ifications, people who love great characters
Read on July 10, 2011 — I own a copy

Let's face it: this is as good as the "teenage-ification comics" (word? It is now!) are going to get. Stories of this nature will always be a little silly, but in the case of Young Avengers, there's a huge emphasis on the "A LITTLE".

In the foreword by Jeph Loeb, he says that Young Avengers should have been a disaster, a train wreck, and he is right: it very easily could have been. But the comic's greatest strength lies in how much it respects its own characters. Devoid of stereotypes or generalizations, Eli becomes so much more than just the black kid, Billy and Teddy are not just the gay couple and Kate is absolutely kick-ass. In fact, I dare say that this comic is a study in how you should write characters of different ethnicities and sexualities!

And that's not the only thing it's got going for it! The dialogue is wonderful: effective, believable and had me laughing out loud at several points! The plot, while rushed in a few places, was very good too. I especially love Billy, Teddy and Tommy's backstories. The cameos from various Avengers had me fangirling all over the place, though I'm sad that my favourite is dead at the moment. And lastly, the artwork is superb!

It is not perfect. The silliness I spoke of earlier especially comes out in some of the fight-scenes, and a few things feel taken out of the blue, but if one isn't a nit-pick, that's not much of an issue. I say if you have the chance, check it out! This was obviously not half-assed. These people put a lot of work into this comic, and it shows!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Young Avengers.

03/06/2016 marked as: read