Tajanator's Reviews > The Darkangel

Jul 09, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: paranormal-romance, vampire-fiction
Read from July 12, 2011 to June 11, 2013

6/11/13. I finished it... & still gave it only 2 stars. I was much more interested in the end of the book than the beginning... but there was so much left unexplained that I was irritated by the complexity of the story. If you are going to write a complex story, you must also give details that your readers will use to follow your words. Oh well. It was ok. Not much else to tell on that matter. For more info on what irritated me, read my first review (below) from when I stopped reading it back in 2011. This time around, I am mostly just glad to have it off my list.

6/10/13: Giving it another try... I began reading where I left off almost two years ago. Since there are less than 100pages remaining, this should not take long. I am compelled to finish this story for reasons entirely unknown other than a peaked interest when noticing it on my bookshelf & remembering it uncompleted.

9/18/11: ★★☆☆☆ I gave up. I don't give up very often, but I am just bored with this story. I may finish it eventually because I hate unfinished books but I kind of doubt it. I don't hate it so I gave it the rarely-used 2 star rating for its being "ok" and nothing more.

By the time I got to the half way point, I was still confused at why I was supposed to like any of the characters. The main girl is waifish, unintelligent, and weak. The main guy is ugly by description (in my opinion), rude, and evil in a non-interesting way. They only interest the story held was the DarkAngel's possible history (or the Icarus... possible history since he has too many names to follow; there are a couple more, too, I think...) but even that was too bland to get me excited...

If this was a stand-alone book I would probably finish it to see what happens. But, since it is a trilogy, (sequels: A Gathering of Gargoyles & The Pearl of the Soul of the World), I doubt I will learn enough by the end of this book to be satisfied... and I am not interested enough to endure two following sequels... so its curtains for The Darkangel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkangel.

07/13/2011 page 41
16.0% "I am enjoying so far! This book has a gothic feel that so many vampire books have left behind. I feel that the Darkangel/Vampyre/icarus/beautiful-albino-male-lead is more similar to Dracula, then he would be to the Edward Cullen types.."
07/16/2011 page 50
20.0% "Plot is strange... the wraith wives & gargoyals... And the main darkangel icarus? He is not interesting yet."
08/16/2011 page 116
45.0% "This book may be only 256pgs but jeez its taking for-ev-er to read!!"
09/18/2011 page 137
54.0% "Still having issues getting through the book. The part after escape is weird. What so she's pretty now because she is stronger? Um ... I don't buy it.. But ok."
06/10/2013 marked as: to-read
06/10/2013 marked as: currently-reading
06/10/2013 page 137
57.0% "Starting this book again where I left off ages ago... I had given up on this one but now feel urged to complete it. Wish me luck!"
06/11/2013 page 173
72.0% "This author seems to have a lot of complicated ideas but poor execution in describing them. The lyon, the starhorse, the jackals & spectors, the hoof thing... The icaris.. I'm not following the reason for her quest well. I know what she's doing but why?... It's not explained well enough for enjoyment. It's like a kid book in that way, just accept it & read her quest. It's odd..."
06/11/2013 marked as: read