Gemma's Reviews > Fear

Fear by Michael  Grant

May 14, 12

Read in May, 2012

POST-READING UPDATE

Hmm... I don't know that I was terribly impressed by the latest installment of the Gone series. I didn't feel that Fear had the driving force of some of the other books in the series; it was more like filler than any of the others. I don't feel like there were any major developments here (other than one that will be omitted for the sake of spoilers. But it wasn't as important as it should have been).

I mean, yeah, the dome started going dark, and sure, there are people on the outside, but... that didn't feel like a pressing problem to me.

This could have been because of my mindset while reading it. I read the first three hundred pages sitting in the choir room, pumped up on my first Monster energy drink, waiting for the final rehearsal of our high school musical (the glorious Sweeney Todd: the Demon Barber of Fleet Street, as handled by teenagers) to start. I don't know that my entire complete attention was one hundred percent dedicated to the story.

Plus, I read Plague a really long time ago, and even though most of the content in these books seems to stick with me, I wasn't totally up to date on everything that was happening in the increasingly twisted world of the FAYZ.

So that could have been why this plot felt looser and less intense than everything in the previous books.

But that might not have been it. Something about Fear was less harrowing than the others. Could it be that Michael Grant is running out of ideas? (view spoiler) No, I really don't think that's it. But they weren't as realistic as they were before.

It's the way it's written, I think. Even though a few of them got splattered on screen, it seemed a little harder for Michael Grant to get into his characters heads in Fear. I wasn't feeling as connected to Sam, Caine, Diana and Astrid as I once was. There was a forced-ness to it, especially when touchy subjects were encountered, like the cheese-fest that was Dekka's confrontation with Brianna about being in love with her. Worse was was when we were able to glimpse the outside, and Grant tried to get into the heads of adults, which simply felt forced and cliche in a way that wasn't there in the other books, even the first one.

Or maybe it was. Maybe it's always been there. Maybe I'm simply outgrowing his writing. I don't know, but I certainly hope not. Because despite the Gone series several looming flaws, there is a brilliance to them. They're well realized in a way that so many other books aren't. Grant seems to understand life in the FAYZ, and has searched every angle for a way to escape, as well as ways that it could get increasingly worse, which it has. He's looked at insanity, psychopathy, murder, cannibalism, teen pregnancy, drug use and just claustrophobia. It's a horror movie setting, and he knows it, and isn't afraid to examine it all more closely.

I just hope the final installment, Light, feels a bit more focused and plot-driven than this one, or I will be hugely disappointed.

PRE-READING REVIEW

Whoa... the cover.

It's so... ugly .

But not in a bad way; not at all. By now, the characters are clearly no longer the supermodels they were for the last four covers. I mean, they've been starving for at least three months, so...

THEY FINALLY LOOK APPROPRIATE TO THE SITUATION!!

Points for that.

Wondering how it will end... I wish the whole Dekka-Brianna thing could be reversed (make Brianna the secret lesbian) that way Sam and Dekka could end up together. They're a lot cuter than Sam/Astrid and Dekka/Brianna. Plus, Sam isn't always angry because Dekka won't have sex with him.

Yes, Sam/Dekka would be nice. Too bad.

Also, exciting because they say the cover people are Quinn and Dianna, which hopefully means Quinn will be important again, because he hasn't really been since the first book. But on the plus side, he and Sam have stopped reffering to each other as 'brah's, which sounds more like 'bra' then 'bro.

I guess there's a bright side to everything.

What's the last book called? Darkness or Light? Because originally it was Light, then it was Darkness then someone said they changed it again...

But it would be so cool, if it was called Light. SO COOL.

Because it would mean they'd get out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fear.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela (new) - added it

Pamela Reyna Dekka and SAm are you nuts????

Gemma They opperate nicely together. As opposed to any of the couples previously listed. And they actually seem to like each other (not like like, but still), instead of just be going off of 'oh, wow, she's so hot' like the rest of them.

Emily i totally agree with the whole bra thing!!!!!!!!!!!

message 4: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Pratz The last book will be light! This one was originally going to be Darkness, but the title was too long. And I have the same thoughts about the "Light" and getting out, too! :)

Sabrina *The REAL Princess* I actually thought on the cover was Diana and Caine (who are my fave couple)

message 6: by Thalia (new) - added it

Thalia I thought I was the only one who wanted Sam/Dekka to happen! OTL They really are so better than Sam/Astrid.

message 7: by Lia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lia Tan I'm not so sure about Sam and Dekka but anything is better than Sam and Astrid. Astrid is so stuck up and narrow minded. If Sam wants to be the leader, he shouldn't have someone as stubborn and arrogant as Astrid to influence him or else all the things that he does will be for the sake of Astrid, not necessarily everybody else. Unless Astrid changes in this book, I think that Sam might as well be better off with Dekka.