Tiffanyy's Reviews > Secret Society Girl

Read in February, 2008

Secret Society Girlby Diana Peterfreund
Deltacore Press 2006,291pp., $10.00
ISBN:978-0-440-24389-2

When I first picked up the book, I thought from the cover and the title that it would be something like the series of cliques and the life of a rich girl in an Ivy League school, with the money and the beauty, glamorous and rich. As I open the book to chapter 1, it was different from what I anticipated. I knew that there will be something more to the book than what is expected.
In the story, Amy Haskel, an average, middle-classed girl who goes to an Ivy League school surrounded by wealthy peers. As she was finishing the year of junior year with the same routine, something extraordinary jumps out at her- the most famous, Rose and Grave all-boys secret society had tapped her into their society which flipped everything into chaos when they began tapping girls in after having the society being an all boys group for many centuries. Stressed, with all the pressure of being in a hectic society with some of her peers not even wanting her to be in there and also the commitment of maintaining her promises with the society and reality, her life gets turned around as she struggles to get everything back in order.
Secret Society Girl was a huge page-turner for me because of the huge amount of suspense and the interesting events made me want to read on to the very end and I am still anxious for the next book of the series to come out. The book shows the courage of a teenager that stands up from a sexist environment; this book is filled with imagery and morals to learn from. Satisfied, at the end of the book, I did not regret cracking open the front cover and I am positive that when I reread it for the second time. I would definitely recommend this book to people that likes to read journals and diaries of someone’s life, deep and dramatic; there’s always a conflict.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secret Society Girl.

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I liked how you compared this book to many other books that are popular among teenagers these day. I want to read this book now and I like how you illustrated a bigger idea about sexism like Dan did with his review. Good job tiffnayyy :D

message 2: by Juhi (new)

Juhi I like how you added your reaction to the book before you even read it. I really like how you used your delayed and opening adjectives, like the last line. I also liked how you were specific when you wanted to recommend this book to other people. Good Job!

message 3: by Ezra (new)

Ezra TIFFANY,
your word use and sentence phrasing in your review is beyond amazing. I am most interested now in reading the book because of your encouragment to read books not based on the cover. The thing that was original here was your personal recommendation and that everyone could read it and have something good to think back on it again.