Paula Obermeier McCarty's Reviews > Pretending to Be Normal: Living with Asperger's Syndrome

Pretending to Be Normal by Liane Holliday Willey

2002563
Jul 09, 11

bookshelves: x-aspergers
Read in July, 2011 — I own a copy

Good book. A bit of light reading with some interesting thoughts. The title was awesome: "Pretending to be Normal". Ahhh......seems like the perfect description of my life in general. LOL. Gosh, when I think back........When was I not pretending to be normal? LOL.

One favorite quote: "Too often those with AS get lost in a world of discouragement and damaged self-esteem, and in that world there are few avenues for happiness. I try, at every opportunity I am given, to show both my daughter and myself that so long as we are soundly willing, we can find a way to create good things for ourselves - no matter what."

Another favorite passage: "I want my girls to find reasons to enjoy all the people in their lives, even if it means they have to tap into every creative well in their soul, to do so. I want them to truly, way down deep in their hearts, know that all people..........are worthy, viable and exceptional beings who have much to give and even more to share. So long as my family knows who I am, I am rather content. As to others, well, their opinions tend to matter less and less to me. Nonetheless, I do try to help those who need to know me well, see that I simply move to my own music."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretending to Be Normal.