Marcie's Reviews > Sleight

Sleight by Jennifer Sommersby

Aug 12, 11

Read from July 13 to 14, 2011

Sleight is a wonderfully written novel by Jennifer Sommersby. Sleight is about a girl named Gemma Flannery. Gemma has had an unusual upbringing. For most of her life she has traveled with the Cinzio Traveling Players which is a traveling circus. Gemma is raised by Marlene and Ted. They've cared for Gemma since she was little. Gemma's mother recently committed suicide after suffering for a long time with mental illness. Gemma's father is unknown. Gemma also has a secret, she can see dead people. On top of all this she's being forced to attend public high school. Despite her anxiety over school she meets Henri Dmitri. Henry is the son of the town benefactor, Lucian Dmitri. Despite who his father is, Henry is much more reserved and a bit of a loner. Gemma and Henry form an instant friendship. However they are soon forced together to stop a madman from destroying everything they care about.
This story is definitely different from other stories I've read. I especially enjoyed the circus setting. It really added to the ambiance of the book. The performers of the circus are in a way an extended family for Gemma. They all look out for her.
Gemma has not had an easy life. Sure, she's had people who cared about her but she's also had the stigma of having a mentally ill mother. Gemma can also see dead people which makes her life, to say the least, complicated. Gemma is a good character. She is caring, smart and loyal. She learns a lot of heavy information in a short amount of time and is forced to deal with it. The only thing I didn't like about her character is that I thought she cried too much. Gemma relies on Henry's support a great deal. They have great chemistry together. And by chemistry I mean some hot smooches between the two. Henry has a bit of a rough history himself. I think that's what brings them closer together. Henry is very overprotective of Gemma.
The story is set at a fast moving pace. I enjoyed the action and the mystery. I also enjoyed the history behind the 3000 year old text, AVRAKEDAVRA. I also like that Jennifer Sommersby included quotes from other books at the beginning of each chapter. I love it when authors do this. I enjoy reading them. This is the first book in this series. Jennifer Sommersby ended Sleight with a cliffhanger. I love and hate cliffhangers at the same time. I can't wait to find out what will happen next. Overall I really like Sleight. It is a great start to this series. If you haven't checked out this book yet, you need to.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleight.

07/13/2011 page 50
15.0% "I really like this book so far."
show 1 hidden update…