Taylor's Reviews > How We Decide

How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer

Jul 09, 11

Read in July, 2011

I think I have to stop reading (listening to) these kinds of books (i.e. books in which an author uses psychological/neurological/behavioral economics research to explain how humans do something -- decide, pay attention, seek happiness, etc.). This one follows a similar pattern as the rest of them, discussing a lot of the same classic and newer experiments, then trying to relate the results to how we make decisions.

While that part has gotten repetitive for me, the author does come to some feasible, applicable conclusions about how we decide and how we can decide better (hint: "rational" decision-making is definitely not always best...though neither is emotional/intuitive). I liked how it was organized, too: engaging stories about real people (quarterbacks, elite poker players, firefighters, serial killers) making surprising/money-making/life-saving/(life-ending) decisions introduced each section.

So -- 3 stars if you've obsessively read books like this for the last year or two, like I have; 4 if it's a new genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How We Decide.