Roberta 's Reviews > Haunted Northern New York: True, Chilling Tales of Ghosts in the North Country

Haunted Northern New York by Cheri Revai

Jul 09, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: upstate-ny, ghost

This collection was better than some of the other local ghost story collections that I have read because there were a few stories that I had not read before and because these stories give specific names of people and places that the hauntings occurred. There is a lot of detail. The stories aren't just generic ghost stories; you can tell that these came from northern New York.

This isn't the only book with this problem but a totally unbelievable number of people claim that their houses were part of the underground railroad.

To get picky, on page 1 a ghost was "retarded" but what appears to be the same ghost was "insane" on page 2. Aside from lack of political correctness, they aren't the same thing.

On page 6 it is supposed to be proof that a house is haunted because bats got in "even when all the doors and windows were locked up tight." Any pest control company will tell you that bats don't give a flying rat's ass ;-) if your doors and windows are locked. It doesn't mean you have ghosts -- it just means you have bats.

On page 97 there is a reference to what we all learned about ghosts from watching the hit movie "Ghosts." As I recall, the hit movie "Ghosts" was never intended as a documentary. Whoopi Goldburg, last time I checked, was not Ken Burns.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haunted Northern New York.