Barbara's Reviews > Nothing with Strings: NPR's Beloved Holiday Stories

Nothing with Strings by Bailey White

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: general-fiction
Read in May, 2007

A collection of short stories from Bailey White, a featured contributor to NPR's All Things Considered. I haven't heard Ms White on radio tho' having read these, I can see why they may have her telling her little vignettes rooted in life in a small Southern town. They're charming, intriguing, on occasion whimsical, with a few twists and the right atmosphere for warm and winning all-American story-telling.

I was browsing at the library, looking for something else, and the idea of shorts was pretty appealing so I took a chance. A few will probably stick with me -- Miss Wiggleworth's Bull, in which an homely resident school teacher wins a bull. At first, she seems almost an object of ridicule, but the twist made me rethink my view of her...and I liked the low-key surprise of it. Another story, Return to Sender, features an old lady still trying to order from an ancient Sears catalog, much to her daughter's dismay...and surprise. I think my favorite was called The Garden, simply tracing a section of garden carved out by one person then worked on, changed, lost, and rediscovered over succeeding generations. Made me wonder what history and story I pass by without ever thinking of what might be there.

So a pleasant and enjoyable read,good for tucking into in bed at night. Good enough to make me pick up another collection: Mama Makes Up Her Mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nothing with Strings.