Kristy's Reviews > Wintergirls

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Jul 11, 11

bookshelves: read-2011, teen-fiction, ya-fiction
Read from July 09 to 10, 2011

A very disturbing and harrowing book about an 18 year old girl, Lia in the grips of an eating disorder, a former friend (Cassie) has just died and now haunts her and Lia kind of hovers between life and death or deciding between life and death. On the front of my copy a review mentions 'hope' and really the hope only comes at the very end, the rest of the book is frustrating because I tried hard to sympathise but mostly I just thought 'get a grip and eat some pie.' Then my enjoyment of the story was spoiled all the more because I felt guilty for feeling that way. A ray of light in this book came in the form of Elijah who's a pretty random character, someone who briefly met Cassie prior to her death. He was like a comedy interlude and I sort of hoped he'd take all Lia's pain away but instead he turned out to be far less of a potential friend than I initially thought, a bit of a moron really. Lia's relationship with her stepsister is touching and made me warm to Lia a bit more but then when she really hurts her stepsister (emotionally) I felt like screaming.

For ages I thought that Cassie was just a hallucination or a weird figment of her imagination but then you get this whole 'I see dead people' thing which was just a bit confusing. Does she really see dead people or is she just a bit crazy?

A book worth reading and it's hard to put down but frustrating, partly because of the subject matter and partly because of the writing style.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wintergirls.