Wendy Darling's Reviews > No Flying in the House

No Flying in the House by Betty Brock

Feb 27, 16

bookshelves: illustrated, pn-faeries, middle-grade, readalong, tmg-classic-readalongs, read-2016
Read from February 23 to 25, 2016

Re-read for our chat! It's posted here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

And I highly recommend it for all little girls, and for reading with little girls. Or reading with anyone who might've yearned to be a fairy princess. (view spoiler)

-----------------------------

If you enjoy discovering/rediscovering classic children's and YA lit, btw, do join our new little group Kindred Spirits: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

We did a classic readalong every month on the blog for two years, but I've moved it here to GoodReads to make things easier. You can start your own readalongs if you like, and we'll also do occasional bookish swaps and such, too!
65 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Flying in the House.

message 1: by Lacey (new)

Lacey I've read this book too! I feel like it's one that not many people have heard of. I have an old copy of it.

message 2: by Brigid (new)

Brigid Oh, I remember this book. I adored it! The little dog and Annabel kissing her elbow, and oh, sweet memories of childhood.

Wendy Darling Yes! That's the reason I wanted to do this one, Lacey, I don't know anyone else (before Brigid chimed in, hee) who had read it. I still have my old copy, too! It's nice it's still in print, though--it's kind of surprising, considering how relatively obscure it it. It's even available as an ebook.

Brigid--yay yay yay! You are literally the only person in my entire life who has ever even heard of this. I was always tickled by the kissing the elbow thing, too. :) I read it many times as a kid, but it's been awhile so I'm curious to see how it holds up as an adult.

Please do pop in on the discussion on Friday if you wish! The direct link is here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Matthew Hunter Hi Wendy. We're still waiting for the book to arrive through the MN library system! It was published the year I was born, so I'm looking forward to the read-a-long with our kids and the group.

message 5: by Rachael (new) - added it

Rachael Gosh I loved that book as a child! I read and reread it and it never failed to make me cry. I bought a copy a couple of years ago but have not reread it - too afraid that it won't be as magical now I've grown up I think!

message 6: by Brigid (new)

Brigid Wendy Darling wrote: "Yes! That's the reason I wanted to do this one, Lacey, I don't know anyone else (before Brigid chimed in, hee) who had read it. I still have my old copy, too! It's nice it's still in print, though-..."

Oh yay! I will! I might have to download it and read it again first. It's been at least 25 years since I've read it, but I read it MANY times. <3 <3 <3

Wendy Darling Hi Matthew--oh good, I'm glad you're going to read it with your girls! I think most girls would enjoy it. It's totally okay if you want to add your thoughts to the group thread later when you've finished, btw, I expect we'll keep responding as long as new comments come in.

Rachel--awww! That's so sweet. I can assure you, having just read it, that it is just as charming as it was before, and I was saying in the discussion thread that I think I appreciate it even more now, because I can see how skillfully the author puts the story together. Save that reread for a day when you need a cozy comfort read. :)

Brigid--eee! I'm sure you'll enjoy it all over again. It makes me feel like I'm 8 years old again, and wistfully daydreaming of being a changeling fairy child. I'm excited to see how it holds up for you.

message 8: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen OMG! I forgot all about this book!

Trisha Smith Thank you so much for sharing this group!! My daughter just turned one and we read lots of books together. So far we've read Anne of Green Gables, Little House on the Prairie, and The Invention of Hugo Cabret. Looking forward to reading along with all of you and discovering some new classic literature titles and old favorites!

message 10: by Brigid (new)

Brigid I didn't get to check in yesterday, but I just got the notification that this was delivered to my house. I'm going to try to read it with my boys.

Matthew Hunter We're having fun with this one so far, Wendy. Thanks for putting it in front of us! I'll chime in on the chat soon. Cheers.