Diana (Bookish_D)'s Reviews > Clarity

Clarity by Kim Harrington

4642011
Jul 29, 11

CLARITY is 242 pages of AWESOME! I loved everything about it! Ms. Harrington did a phenomenal job creating a story that kept me guessing till the end, it was so suspenseful that I had a hard time putting the book down!

Clare is a psychic who can “pick up” people's thoughts from objects they have touched. Perry, her older brother, can contact the dead as a medium. Starla, her mother, is a telepath. I really enjoyed Clare's family. You could really tell how much they loved each other and how they would do whatever was necessary to ensure each others well being. They work together as a team giving physic readings to tourists in their small hometown, Eastport. But after the tragic murder of a teenage tourist, Clare is asked to “assist” the police by using her psychic ability.

Clare is a great protagonist. The author captures the voice of a teenage girl quite well. We get to see Clarity struggle with self-doubt because of her powers. She tends to isolate herself because she thinks no one would be friends with a “freak”, but it’s easy to see that there are many people who care about her. She is a strong and yet vulnerable character…. I loved that. The whole family also plays a big role in the story, as well as other characters. As the story unfolded so did the characters. There was more to each of them than you initially thought and that type of character development adds to the suspenseful nature of this book.

And of course, we have our typical YA love triangle. On one end we have Justin, Clare’s ex-boyfriend whom will stop at nothing to get her affection back, and Gabriel, the hot new boy detective in town. Want to take a guess at who I’m rooting for? Well you shouldn’t because I don’t even know. Yes, that’s right; little ‘ol me, the hopeless romantic, DOES NOT know who to root for! (Can you tell this has never happened before?) I thought both guys where really great and I was still undecided at the end of the book as to which one I wanted to see Clare with.

CLARITY is an action packed debut that is not to be missed. The sequel; PERCEPTION, which comes out March 2012, has easily made it to the top of my 2012 must-read-list. Haven’t read Clarity, is it sitting at the bottom of your TBR pile? Well what are you waiting for?... Pick it up now :)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clarity.