Gina's Reviews > Hunting Fear

Hunting Fear by Kay Hooper

Oct 25, 11

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own-read, kindle, kidnapping, mystery, murder, paranormal, romance, book-club, fairs-and-carnivals
Read from October 04 to 25, 2011

Bestselling author Kay Hooper ratchets up the tension in this fast-paced thriller about a psychic profiler and his hunt for a seemingly invincible murderer. Profiler Lucas Jordan has been able to locate missing people by sensing their fear, the very fear that excites the killer he's trying to find. But there's a twist in the latest kidnapping -- a carnival psychic predicted the crime a week before it happened. Psychic "Zarina" turns out to be Samantha Burke, a woman from Lucas's past; warily, they team up to beat the killer to his next victim. As they get closer to the truth, Samantha's powers are stretched to the breaking point, and Lucas's success will depend on overcoming the emotional barriers that shut down their relationship in the first place.

I started reading Kay Hoopers Bishop SCU series books about a year ago, but I was reading them out of order. This was very frustrating because I wasn't familiar with the backgrounds of the many characters. The fact that FBI Agent Bishop heads up a team of psychic, claravoiyant, seers, and fortune tellers made it even harder to keep track of who has what ability and how they came to be in the unit. So I decided to acquire all of the books related to Agent Bishop and read them in order. Hunting Fear is the first in Hooper's second Bishop trilogies. In this book, the reader is given the background information on Lucas Jordan and Samantha Burke. Lucas is able to connect with people by their fears...the stronger the victim fear is the more in touch Lucas can be to help track the victim down. But Lucas has a past that won't let him use his abilities to their full extent and Samantha is there for many reasons, one of which is to force Lucas to open up his emotions so he can do his work more effectively. Samantha has also come back because she is a psychic and had a dream about the kinappings going on in Golden, North Carolina. She is there to try to change the outcome of her dream and to do that she has to help with the case and try to change events as much as possible.

The story starts very slowly and continues to go very slow. I felt that the book could have been tied up very neatly a full 50 pages before it was actually done. There was so much time spent in reading about each and every search of the victims. Time spent on talking out strategies to catch the killer. I think some of this detail could have been witheld to move the story along at a quicker pace. The last 4 chapters pick up a bit to the grand finale, but it just wasn't enough. I am glad to have read it becuase, like I said it gives me important background information. The use of the paranormal was within reasonal limits. I like stories that involve the use of paranormal to solve crimes, which is why I became interested in Hooper's books in the first place. I will continue to read through the books in order because I know from the novels that I have already read that Hooper's writing does become better and and the plotlines in others are much more fast paced and more interesting. 3 stars for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunting Fear.

10/03/2011 page 50
13.0% "Love it so far. Perfect mix of what I love best....mystery and paranormal!"
10/04/2011 page 70
18.0% "I love the book. It is so much easier starting at the beginning of a series like this."
show 5 hidden updates…