Calisto's Reviews > How to Dance with a Duke

How to Dance with a Duke by Manda Collins

Jan 12, 12

bookshelves: netgalley, wanted-to-like-but-didnt
Read from January 03 to 12, 2012

A pleasant enough read for story that is hanging out in the back of the historical pack.

Miss Cecily is determined to clear her ailing father's name. But in order to clear her father's name, she must gain admittance to the Egyptian Club and get to his journals. In order to get into the club, she must be married and now she's willing to marry any dullard member in order to achieve her goal of clearing her father's name.

Lucas Dalton is determined to find out what happened to his missing brother. His brother went missing on an expedition to Egypt while being employed by Cecily's father. Since Lucas hasn't been able to talk to Cecily's father, who has mysteriously become afflicted with some undiagnosed illness, he's willing to get close to the daughter of the man accused of being involved in the disappearance of his brother.

Phew! That was a bit wordy wasn't it? Maybe a little repetitive? I bet that description could have been chopped by in half and that is my biggest problem with this story. The repetitive, fillery and oftentimes, extraneous prose.

Now, I love wallflower, injured hero, mystery, unexpected love type of stories. All of that is in this book. It should have been a fun, quick read with likeable characters, but the way the story is told (and there is a whole lot of telling) just drags down the pace to a point that it was about to permanently cure my insomnia. There was simply too much information that did nothing to move the story along and what was essential kept being repeated, not by beating a dead horse, but more like flaying the decomposing body over an open pit.

Don't get me wrong, this wasn't a horrid story. There are very likeable characters and the Ugly Ducklings concept is solid. I just think that the editing needed to have been much more focused on keeping the pace brisk and lively, not bogged down by repetition and filler.

ARC received courtesy of St. Martin's Press and NetGalley.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Dance with a Duke.