Christina's Reviews > Swim the Fly

Swim the Fly by Don Calame

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, lol
Read from July 08 to 09, 2011

This book is hilarious! I am usually a bit wary of typical "boy books" since the crass potty jokes tend to make me roll my eyes and move on to the next thing, but not here. This book was entertaining, fast-paced, and very funny.

Matt and his friends have given each other a goal every summer. This year's goal is to see a real live naked woman. Not an easy feat for a bunch of 15 year old boys who don't even know how to talk to a girl, let alone see her naked. Obviously much hilarity ensues as the boys embark on one scheme after another in their quest. On top of this, Matt has his eye on the new girl on their swim team, and in order to impress her he volunteers to swim the 100m fly. CRAZY!!! Especially when he can barely swim 1 lap of the world's most difficult stroke (and I know... I used to swim competitively too)

I really liked how this book incorporated a great set of characters, including Matt's grandfather, and Ulf the great. The plot was full of little twists and surprises, and the writing engaging and witty. This was definitely written from the point of view of a teenaged boy, and it worked out very well.

I shall definitely be recommending this book to my students when classes start again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swim the Fly.