cecilia's Reviews > Across the Universe

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Jul 08, 11

bookshelves: purple-covers
Read in July, 2011

Elder is ready to tackle on more responsibilities as future leader, but his mentor Eldest refuses to share the ship’s secrets. When Elder digs around for answers, he stumbles across a secret room where a girl with sunset hair lies in stasis. Amy, on the other hand, agreed to be frozen for 300 years to keep her family together. She gets a nearly fatal awakening 50 years ahead of schedule and figure out what is happening on board Godspeed because something rotten is definitely afoot. Furthermore, once Elder and Amy uncover the truth, will it even matter?

I managed to dodge reviews for Across The Universe for the most part, although I could not help but notice the major crushing on Elder. Sadly I did not leave Across The Universe with a sense of infatuation. Don’t get me wrong: It was full of good, suspenseful stuff. Yet, on trail of finishing A Long, Long Sleep with a girl also brought out of stasis and also INSIDE OUT/OUTSIDE IN where ship politics go amok, I think I read this book too late in my TBR pile. The story did not quite grab at me as anticipated, and I felt like I’ve walked this path before. That said, what makes Across The Universe worth a read? Switching from Amy and Elder’s perspectives was a boss move on Beth Revis’s part, particularly when the two started to finish each other’s reactions. Very genius indeed – and definitely expertly done in way that I found unforgettable!