Maria Elmvang's Reviews > Pigen der legede med ilden

Jan 25, 2011

bookshelves: 2008, 5-stars, suspense, owned-physical-book, 2011
Recommended to Maria by: Henni
Read in January, 2011 , read count: 2

I haven't read a book this quickly since Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

The sequel to The Girl with the dragon tattoo is just as good as the first one. Well written, well researched and impossible to put down. The only thing I missed was a bit of a conclusion at the end, but rumour has it that will come in the last book in the trilogy, which makes sense as this one tied up some lose threads from the first book as well. I can't wait to get my hands on the last one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pigen der legede med ilden.

06/08 marked as: read

message 1: by Coalbanks (new) - added it

Coalbanks Sounds like a must-read series. I have read reviews pro/con on Steig Larsson and am looking forward to reading his work. Thanks to all reviewers of this writer.

Maria Elmvang It really is. The three books in the series may just be the best books I've read all year. I don't know if they've all been translated to English yet though.

message 3: by Coalbanks (new) - added it

Coalbanks Only the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I believe.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Okay, ignore my comment on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, since this review answers my question! Am definitely wanting to read these :)

What is the third book? What would the title translate as?

Maria Elmvang You should! :-D

A literal translation of the third is "The Castle in the Air that got Blown Up" - how's that for a mouthful? ;) I hope they'll think of a catchier was of translating it ;) It's one of those phrases that just doesn't translate well.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) *laughs* I can't see them going with a literal translation! They'll no doubt start off with "The Girl With" something something, to make it fit. Be interesting what they come up with.

Maria Elmvang I think so too - especially seeing as they already changed the title of the first one. The literal translation of that one is "Men Who Hate Women".

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Ouch! Probably wouldn't attract the right audience, that one!

Maria Elmvang You never know - it did in both Denmark and Sweden under that title.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) True, I forgot that. It just sounds a bit harsh in English? But maybe it captures the novel perfectly? There's a real trend in titles these days, lots of wives and daughters in titles: The Pilot's Wife, The Time Traveler's Wife, the Memory Keeper's Wife, The Abortionists' Daughter and so on.

Making the book sound like it's more about a girl with a cool tattoo than about misogynistic men is more, ah, palatable in English-speaking countries, I'm thinking. Or is that a gross assumption?

Maria Elmvang No, I get what you're saying. My main problem with the English title is that it's grossly misleading - "The Girl" isn't the main character, the tattoo isn't part of the plot at all, and it's mentioned twice, perhaps three times in the entire book.

I've already had one friend think it was about dragons because of it.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) I'm glad I know that, actually, or I would have been expecting more of a focus on the "Girl", and I'd hate to set up expectations like that! I looked at it again today but at $32 I can't justify it. Plus the hardcovers are too heavy to carry around.

Maria Elmvang Well, she becomes more of a main character in the later books, but in the first, it's definitely Kalle Blomkvist.

No, $32 is definitely too much to be justifiable. Granted, that's basically what I paid for my paperback (close to anyway, I think it was $25-$30), but like I said earlier - books in Denmark are EXPENSIVE. The hardcover (which is MUCH too big and MUCH too bulky) costs somewhere between $50 and $60 depending on the current value of the $.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Ouch. I use the cheaper prices of books in Canada to justify my spending habits! Come to think of it, I owe you a book! Requests?

Natalie Carvajal Cheaper in Canada? Are you serious? Where have YOU been shopping for new books?

Maria Elmvang Denmark and Australia respectively ;-) Canada is a LOT cheaper.