Rachel N's Reviews > The 100 Thing Challenge: How I Got Rid of Almost Everything, Remade My Life, and Regained My Soul

The 100 Thing Challenge by Dave Bruno

Jul 08, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read in July, 2011

I'm all for simplifying our lives, purging our stuff on a regular basis, and seeking to say "no" to the status quo. There's more to it than that though, and this book completely misses the point. I should have seen the clue in the subtitle that clearly reveals the focus to be on "me, myself, and I." Our focus should be on others, seeking to be generous, and "loving our neighbor" even to our own hurt. I don't claim to "be there." I love myself more than I should and am in a constant battle to turn my focus outward. The 100 Thing Challenge is just another way to make yourself feel better for the moment and look good on the outside. I admit I skimmed the last half of the book, hoping in vain to find something redeeming... I'm annoyed at myself for spending the time to read even that much. At the end of my life, I hope people remember me, not for how well I purged my material possessions every year, but as someone who loved well and was generous.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 100 Thing Challenge.