Christi Snow's Reviews > Deceiving the Protector

Deceiving the Protector by Dee Tenorio

Aug 15, 11

Read from August 03 to 04, 2011

OMG, this book was so good!!! I will have the full review up soon. The book releases the 15th. Now I need to go and read Book #1 in this series, Tempting the Enemy...

Full review reposted from my Smitten with Reading blog.

My Review:
There are books that make me so happy that I am a book reviewer because I never would have found them otherwise. This is one of those books. This is book #2 in the Resurrection series. I have not read #1 (at the time of writing this review- by the time you read this, I can guarantee that has been remedied) but I got an offer of an ARC by the author, Dee Tenorio, so I jumped on it I am so glad that I did. This is another of those books that I can pretty much guarantee you is going to make my Top 10 list for 2011... such a good book!

Lia is a stray and Tate has come out to help protect her and to get her to safety because there is a serial killer that is targeting the Shifters in the area. What Tate doesn't realize is that Lia is well aware of the serial killer because he's her own personal stalker and murders anyone that shows her any kindness which means that Tate is next on his list of people to kill and chop up.

After years of torture and medical experimentation, Lia is trapped in her circumstances. She has lost all hope for herself, but contact with Tate has re-awakened that hope.

As with all shifters, Lia & Tate have an instant connection, but Lia knows that her connnection to him simply threatens his life further. Tate is unwilling to let her go especially as he realizes that she is being hurt and is absolutely terrified. He can't stand by while anyone is being hurt, but add in his attraction to Lia, and there is no way that she is going to get rid of him.

These are both extremely strong people, but Lia is... Wow, just incredible. Most people have died or gone insane after the treatments that she's had to endure, but she has never given in and never relented to the demands made of her regardless of the extra pain that meant she had to endure.

There were so many details to this story that made it really exceptional:
*the entire shifter world is really amazing. They are being hunted so Tate & his brother Pale (the alpha and hero from book #1, Tempting the Enemy) have set up a pack in California (Resurrection) as refuge.
*under high emotions, the wolf shifters' eyes change color to the wolfen golden yellow...very cool detail.
*Lia knows that she is never going to have a normal life, so she grabs whatever happiness she can with Tate. It's a heartbreaking desperation.
*BOTH of these people are willing to do ANYthing to save the other.
*a fabulous cash of characters: Pale & Jade (couple from book #1, Tempting the Enemy) and Betha (who is so freaking funny with her comments and observations.) These are Tate's family and they love him even when he's driving them insane.

The entire book simply throbs with emotion. There is so much desperation and futility to Lia's circumstances. What Tate is willing to give up to help her...*sob*...just so gorgeous. The entire books reeks of action & suspense, passion & love, heartache & desperation, and it is ALL so good!! From the moment that I started it, I simply could not put it down. Now I am off to read book #1, Tempting the Enemy. If it is even half as good as this book, then I am up for a long night of happy reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deceiving the Protector.

57.0% "OMG, this book is soooo good! I am not going to get anything else done until I finish it. There is no leaving this book!! (LOVE that!)"

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I just recieved a copy of the 2nd book I haven't read the first one yet - does the order matter? In your opinion??

Christi Snow No, it doesn't. I hadn't read book #1 before this book (I immediately went back and read it after this one) and it didn't affect my enjoyment of it at all. I rated this book an is a fabulous book! It has references to events in the first book, but there isn't anything missing that will affect your enjoyment of this one. It's a GREAT BOOK!!

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Great thanks for letting me know! I think I may want to read this one first then :)

Kristin GREAT to hear! I just got this book from Net Galley today, along with two others and I have'nt decided what to read first. might have to read this one first since you said it's so good!