Mainon's Reviews > My Booky Wook

My Booky Wook by Russell Brand

Jul 08, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction, kindle-books

Those of you who know me well, know how much I hate giving up on things once I've started. I have finished books I hated. I have sat through movies I thought were terrible. So you might think the fact that this book merited the creation of an "unfinished" shelf would indicate that this is maybe the worst book I'd ever read.

It's not. I probably would finish it under other circumstances. But I picked this up because I thought it would be (a) funny, (b) fast-paced, and (c) possibly mildly shocking in an entertaining way. I've read a few tedious, too-serious books lately, and I wanted a change.

Well, Russell Brand clearly aimed for (a) and (c), but what he got was the opposite of (a), (b), and (c). I was somehow bored to tears by the second chapter, despite the fact that he was talking about sex addiction and rehab and other staples of trashy-but-fascinating celebrity memoirs. Eh. Not sure precisely what the problem was, but when there's literally zero redeeming literary value, I decided there was no reason to force myself to finish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Booky Wook.