Suvi's Reviews > Cry to Heaven

Cry to Heaven by Anne Rice

Dec 13, 11

bookshelves: novels, _north-america, historical, 1970-1999, _book-shelf, _europe-southern
Read from December 06 to 12, 2011

How does she do it? It's been a while since I've read any Anne Rice, but with this book I once again became completely enthralled with the world she magically painted before my eyes. At the moment I can easily say that she writes the best historical fiction I have found so far. She doesn't just write a boring lecture-like account of historical events, forgetting as a result to build the actual characters. She actually creates believable characters (whether supernatural or human) and weaves them into the background of gorgeous and lush historical detail, which complements everything that happens in the story.

Wasn't entirely perfect, though. I had to skip a part of music rambling, but that's just because the theoretical aspect of music and singing goes over my head. There were also some stagnant moments where the story didn't actually move forward, but I'm willing to forget that since Italy and the characters were described so well.

I would also like to note that this particular subject of castrati is incredibly interesting. This book actually made me buy an expensive history magazine because of an article about the castrati, and I hadn't even started to read this yet. Now quickly, get me that film Farinelli! Oh, and if you became interested, check out Youtube's Alessandro Moreschi clips. He sounds awkward, but that might be his age or the method of recording. However, at least it's a genuine recording of a true castrato, even though he unfortunately was the only one to get that privilege.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cry to Heaven.

07/31/2011 page 207