Megan's Reviews > Villette

Villette by Charlotte Brontë

Jul 12, 11

bookshelves: abandoned

I really wish I could finish this book. The sheer amount of French in it makes it incredibly difficult for me to understand what the heck is going on. I haven't found an edition with translation and it's making it impossible for me to finish. I had to abandon it.

If I could read French, at least, then maybe I would like it more. I guess I'll have to give it another try later, maybe when I can find an edition with translations in footnotes.

From what I was able to read, this is much better than Jane Eyre (I feel like the only person on the planet who wasn't as enthralled with that book as the rest of humanity), but still not as good as her sisters' works. Anne's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall was maddeningly dark and brilliant and still yet nothing quite compares with the despair and hopelessness of Emily's Wuthering Heights.

I'll revise this once I find a copy with translations and actually finish the book. Until then, unfortunately, this is an abandoned read for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Villette.

07/11/2011 page 71

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Megan I can't finish this book. There is waaaaaaaaaay too much French. I don't speak French and I don't understand it written, so I feel like I'm missing half the book. For sanity's sake, I wish publishers would translate these passages, at least in parenthetics or footnotes or SOMETHING so I could understand what the heck is going on!