Christina's Reviews > Inkspell

Inkspell by Cornelia Funke

Jan 27, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, 2011, fiction, series, ya-and-children-s
Read from July 27 to August 01, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Isn’t it odd how much fatter a book gets when you’ve read it several times? /…/ As if something was left between the pages every time you read it. Feelings, thoughts, sounds, smells … and then, when you look at the book again many years later, you find yourself there too, a slightly younger self, slightly different, as if the book had preserved you like a pressed flower … both strange and familiar. (p. 61)

So after Meggie and her father succeed in rescuing Meggie’s mother in the first volume of the Inkspell trilogy, everything is just peachy. But of course, it isn’t very interesting to read an entire novel about peachy so the novel. So this novel has hardly begun before Dustfinger has managed to get back into the Inkworld. He has managed to find someone else who can read things into existence, Orpheus. But he left Farid behind so Farid has no other choice but to visit Meggie to persuade her to read him into the book. She reads both of them into it.

Eventually, her parents are read into the book as well along with Orpheus – but unfortunately also the Mortola and Basta. But things are getting complicated in the Inkworld after Fenoglio has started writing new stories to correct the turns the Inkworld has taken – wrongly, in Fenoglio’s opinion. So he has created a hero for the story – the Bluejay. Unfortunately, he modeled the Bluejay on Mo which of course ensures a whole lot of trouble arising for Mo, not only causing him to be mortally wounded but also to be captured by the Adderhead.

There’s lots of twist and turns in this story and I really like ideas behind the story and the love of reading and books that still comes through in this one. My favorite thing of this book is that we get to visit the Inkworld. Since we only heard about it in the first volume of the trilogy, it’s nice to finally be allowed it and see everything that we’ve all heard of.

One thing though – this book ends in a way that makes you want to immediately read on to figure out if he really died
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inkspell.

07/27/2011 page 54
07/27/2011 page 61
9.0% "Isn't it odd how much fatter a book gets when you've read it several times? /.../ As if something was left between the pages every time you read it. Feelings, thoughts, sounds, smells … and then, when you look at the book again many years later, you find yourself there too, a slightly younger self, slightly different, as if the book had preserved you like a pressed flower ... both strange and familiar."
07/31/2011 page 389
58.0% "Interesting how a story can evolve without it's writer's consent and not at all like he planned…"
08/01/2011 page 507
75.0% "Very enjoyable read. I think I liked the first one better but only slightly."
08/01/2011 page 584
87.0% "I'm hoping that I can finish this tonight..."
show 5 hidden updates…