Carla's Reviews > By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead

By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead by Julie Anne Peters

Jul 08, 2011

liked it
Read in July, 2011

WARNING: Do Not Give This Book To People Feeling Suicidal, Have Felt Suicidal, Or Will Hand This Book Off In An Attempt To Bully Someone Into Suicide

A GREAT story about Daelyn Rice and her time as an outcast, bullied so much, abused and attacked with a few attempts under her already.. she finds a website that forces a date upon her, asking her if she will be ready by then, forcing her ask herself certain questions and take a look at the answers. As she is on the site, she purges some pain, has some people reach out, and has she learned anything from Santana a boy fighting Hogkins Lymphoma wanting to live.. unfortuately, ___Spoiler___ the author leaves that up to us. Is that good or bad, after a journey like this book it would have been better for her to finish it, although with the discussion questions within the book, I realize that this was geared for teaching.. no, I would not use this book as a teaching tool, see below ___ Spoiler Done___

This book has a raw voice, rings too true -- I fear though that this can be used as a tool to learn how to kill oneself, to get around from asking/seeking help, I worry about the triggers that this could cause to those that have been hurt and in a classroom setting even that would/could even promote it further. What was the publisher/writer thinking when they thought that this could be taught in a school setting? Anyone that has abuse issues, been abused, been bullied - please don't pick this up, anyone that loves someone that has put this in your library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead.

message 1: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Rowe I feel the same way. When I read it, my mother asked me if she has anything to worry about. That was all because I read her some of the ways to kill yourself that were listed in the book and I read the summary on the back. She thought it was funny, but she got a little worried. I mean, she was asking me why people would put a book about a person your age committing suicide in a High School Library for kids to freely check it out..