Calen's Reviews > The 10,000 Year Explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution

The 10,000 Year Explosion by Gregory Cochran

U_50x66
Jul 08, 11

Read in July, 2011

As someone who has read little on the topic I found this an intriguing overview of recent evolutionary views of how we wandered into the present. Sadly the entire volume is extremely light on detailed data and heavy on leaped to conclusions, though they freely admit having but sniffed the mountain of data so it's fair that the particulars are rough. I was also hoping for a contradiction to current evolutionary stasis, but the info presented just seems to solidify the notion that, due to ever increasing genetic mixing, constantly varying selective pressures, and rapidly changing culture and technology, we'll likely see targeted genetic modification before natural selection has any further effect. Still, with so much potential data mining it's an important effort. Hopefully they'll come back in five years with a second edition and 3 times the content.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 10,000 Year Explosion.