Lucia's Reviews > Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin

Mar 21, 08

bookshelves: young-adult-fiction
Read in March, 2008

If you happen to be one of those teens who just wants to forget what has happened the last few years, here is what you do: throw yourself down a flight of stairs!

Crazy I know! but this is a sweet book. Here is one of my favorite passages:

page 259:

"It happens, baby." Dad nodded and patted me on the hand and then he read my mind. "You forget all of it anyway. First, you forget everything you learned-the dates of the Hay-Herran Treaty and Pythagorean Theorem. You especially forget everything you didn't really learn, but just memorized the night before. You forget the names of all but one or two of your teachers, and eventually you'll forget those, too. You forget your junior class schedule and where you used to sit and your best friend's home phone number (339-4962, I think) and the lyrics to that song you must have played a million times. For me, it was something by Simon & Garfunkel. Who knows what it will be for you? And eventually, but slowly, oh so slowly, you forget your humiliations-even the ones that seemed indelible just fade away. You forget who was cool and who was not, who was pretty, smart, athletic, and not. Who went to a good college. Who threw the best parties Who could get you pot. You forget all of them. Even the ones you said you loved, and even the ones you actually did. They're the last to go. Anbd then once you've forgotten enough, you love someone else."

wow, i guess that was kind of long, huh? Sorry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth I liked that passage. Based on the traipses we take down memory lane here on CMain2, do you think it rings true?

Lucia Well, it doesn't ring true for me. But my best childhood friend, Beth, doesn't remember much of anything from high school. She doesn't remember other students and incidents, that is for sure. And she wasn't a stoner or a drinker/partier, so that can't be the excuse. She is a very bright person who was in all the hard classes. Her mom was tough on her as the oldest child of a Catholic family. I think it can ring true for some. I still remember her parents' phone number and nearly all of my classes. I still remember where i sat in Junior English and how i used to get in trouble for passing dirty notes back and forth with Todd Harmon who was so hot and such an idiot. I remember most of it all, even the bad parties!! But I never wanted to leave that place either. i didnt' realize until I got away from it that I really grew up in a screwed up house! haha

Alya I havent read the book yet, but wow thats a beautiful, really true quote.