Marsha's Reviews > Spider's Bite

1985662
Aug 05, 14

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read from November 16 to 23, 2011

Gin, aka the Spider, is an assassin with a conscious (kind of reminds me of another book I read, minus the paranormal, fantasy elements - Ethical Assassin by David Liss - though the ethical assassin part is the only similarity really). Anyway, Gin doesn't kill kids, the innocent, etc. She only kills those that deserve it, those who have done something very bad. Orphaned at 13, she was taken in by Fletcher, her handler and 'adopted' dad. He taught her to be an assassin, utilizing her skills of patience, survivalism, and determination. One last job, that's all Fletcher wanted her to do and then she was supposed to retire. But, of course, things didn't go as planned and she was running for her life, all the while trying to figure out and assassinate the party that had double crossed her. There were vampires, dwarves, and giants in this cast of characters - though they were so super human that they stole the show. Their 'gift' only made them stronger or faster or something along those lines. Then there were elementals - those individuals who could manipulate one or more element (fire, water, air, earth and the many derivatives). Gin was an elemental - earth (or stone) and water. Though, her water gift wasn't nearly as strong as her ability to manipulate and listen to stone. In fact, she was quite gifted in that area. And of course, there was a love interest - or maybe I should classify him as a sexual interest. Because, there really wasn't much mushy, love involved in her feelings toward Donovan Caine - one of the few honest police officers in the city of Ashland. He, of course, was out to get Gin, but he also was indebted to her for saving his life. Conundrum!

Okay, Detective Caine is where my frustration with the story really takes place. I just don't see the connection between these two characters. I enjoyed the various other characters in the book - including Gin, but not Caine. It wasn't so much that he was a bad person, his character just fell completely flat. Though, he was hugely sanctimonious throughout the story. But, honestly, I just couldn't feel the draw between Gin and Caine. It just felt like Estep simply decided that they were going to be hot for each other and then tried to create sexual tension as often as possible. It just wasn't believable for me.

With that said - I enjoyed the mystery behind the story, the action, the elements that were a part of the super natural world. It was an interesting and novel take and I appreciated the different story line. The vampires didn't take over with their vicious, blood thirsty power and neither did the other characters.

I have already started Web of Lies - the next book in this series and I look forward to seeing if an actual relationship develops between Gin and Caine.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spider's Bite.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by L-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

L-D Like this series. Just read the most recent one - can't wait to hear what you think.

Marsha L-D wrote: "Like this series. Just read the most recent one - can't wait to hear what you think."

I'm about 2/3 through it, and I like it, but I just don't the attraction between Gin and Caine. It just doesn't feel natural or even normal. There is no history, back story, interesting anything between them. Didn't you make the same comment about this book in one of your reviews? I'm going to keep reading because I do like the story so far. I have the second one ready and waiting so I don't have to wait ( I bought it ahead of time just in case).

message 3: by L-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

L-D Yes - hate Caine all you want. I did. She's way too good for him.