Tammy Marie Jacintho's Reviews > Wisdom of the Heart

Wisdom of the Heart by Henry Miller

Mar 21, 08

Read in May, 2007

Miller's essay on CREATIVE DEATH should be enough to own this book, but each essay in this collection is a jewel in the rough... and without Miller's rough Brooklyn accent our understanding (or entrance into) the mysteries would be sorely lacking.

Miller becomes mythic in these essays. His voice carries intimations of Whitman and Emersonian thought. He digs deep into the poets, the philosophers, and the psychologists— even into the spiritual thinkers such as Krishnamurti. He also tackles the Holy Ghost and symbolic significance with ease. His language thrusts us into the momentum as ideas begin to build into beliefs and into a man. Henry Miller surrenders himself in these essays. We begin to perceive "the as-yet-unknown blossom," the "seasonal phenomenon" as he unfolds.

Miller calls us, as writers, as living breathing individuals “to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware. In this state of god-like awareness one sings; in this realm the world exists as poem.” I can think of no better gift than “The Wisdom of the Heart.”

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wisdom of the Heart.