Jhenn's Reviews > Smokin': Carolina in the Storming

Jul 08, 2011

it was ok
Read in July, 2011

2.5 STARS.

I really wanted to like this book since the reviews for it were stellar, but it wasn't meant to be. I thought the characters were enjoyable, although some of them were less than believable (i.e. Georgia the ninja twin). I loved that Carolina was a multiple since I also have a twin sister and her relationship with Mackenzie was adorable and loving. The sexual chemistry and the tension between them was definitely hot.

But, what really killed it for me were some of the cliches and stereotypes that they continued to emphasize over the course of the novel. I felt like I'd read the same passage at least ten times all related to Southerners, food, iced tea, etc. In the end, it left me rather irritated. I started off reading what I thought was a contemporary romance to be thrown into a paranormal romance all within the last fifty or so pages. The head hopping got to be a bit much after a while not to mention I thought I would go crazy trying to remember every one of the characters being thrown at me. Despite my misgivings, I continued because of the introduction of David and the story line really does hook you no matter how much you want to stop reading.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smokin'.

message 1: by Kaya (new)

Kaya I enjoyed the first half. But overall honestly, I surprised to find this novel seemed to be well-received by readers. I was put off by the force feeding and overeating initiated by Carolina. Also, Carolina claiming the boy the moment she seems him was ridiculous. I could understand being protective of him because of his previous situation. However, she wanted him to call her momma the same day she met him. And it was constantly and annoyingly brought up in the book to make sure to call Carolina and Mackenzie "mama and dad". It was all too much for me.

velvetgypsy Ditto that.... I cringed with all the belittling and verbal abuse directed at Mack! Not sexy and def not Alpha. The foul language from a multiple PhD holder too... nah unbelievable.