Chanelle's Reviews > The Goose Girl

Mar 30, 08

bookshelves: book-club, strong-female-character
Recommended to Chanelle by: Kari
Read in March, 2008

What a sweet story, it's one you can transport yourself into another world where things like communicating with animals and controlling the wind seem entirely feasible. The characters are really likeable (esp. Geric- I don't think there was enough of him. Every word he said would make a girl smile) I'm classifying this book as strong female because I loved the fact that when Geric wrote Ani off, she was upset and angry, but her world did not collapse (contrast that to Bella in New Moon who did not want to live after Edward left her because that was her sole purpose for being on this earth, please!) I loved that Ani was upset, but had more important things to do than sulk over a guy that didn't work out (like save the Bayern kingdom from a dishonest queen and the Kilendrean kingdom from an impending war!) I think she was more upset about losing her horse than losing Geric. This book has a little bit of everything- suspense, adventure,self discovery,romance, friendship, loyalty, magic, and a happy ending. Ani discovers how powerful she really is, and that she has been all along. My favorite line in the book is a statement about true friendship. When Ani confides to her friend Enna about her true identity, Enna says "When you get tired of worrying and mourning your horse and trying not to be afraid, tell me and I'll do it for you a while so you can shut your eyes and sleep peaceful."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goose Girl.

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Chanelle I am now re-reading this book, this time to my almost 9 year old daughter, and I am enjoying it even more, seeing it through her eyes! She is fascinated with the possibility of communicating with the animals and feels that she too has that gift.

Emma I totally agree with you! Thats so sweet you are reading it to your daughter. I hope she likes it.

Geric needed more of a say, I agree. He made me melt. So sweet. Such a gentleman! =]

message 5: by Diana (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diana I also totally agree with you! I really liked this book. And it's true, Geric was so awesome. Mostly I just wanted to say that I agree with you about New Moon. I really didn't like that book because of how Bella reacted. I'm glad that Ani is smart enough to have good priorities and good perspective.

Abbie I agree completely that Geric is comepletly loveable. This book has so many twists and turns. I LOVE IT!

Chris Sorensen Perfect review - thanks for sharing. The Hale's writing is superb and one of the thing's I love about it is exactly what you mention - that it has a little bit of everything, which I think is vital in a self-discovery/coming of age book. Kudo's to the Bella thoughts:-)

Aynslee That is exactly how I would describe it! :-)

Sophia Johnson Well said Chanelle! But a five star would be best.