Aspen Junge's Reviews > The Bucolic Plague: How Two Manhattanites Became Gentlemen Farmers: An Unconventional Memoir

The Bucolic Plague by Josh Kilmer-Purcell

Jul 08, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: food

When did I say I was getting tired of New Yorker with a substantial off-farm income moves to the country and tries farming stories? This is another one; what makes it a little different is that the author deliberately decided not to take himself so effing seriously. When their off-farm income dries up, the couple had to decide whether to sell their charming Connecticut historical farmhouse or try to make a living at the business they had started there. They decided to capitalize on their learning curve by making a reality show (shown on Planet Green-- it made me crazy because all the "drama" was the two fighting and I didn't watch many episodes), write their tell-all book, continue their blog, sell goats milk soap, etc. Somewhat intimate without being squicky, and honest about the challenges.

The author's previous memoir, about being a New York drag queen, is probably worth checking out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bucolic Plague.