Melissa's Reviews > The Man of My Dreams

The Man of My Dreams by Curtis Sittenfeld

F 50x66
Jul 13, 11

Read from July 07 to 13, 2011

Holy cow, this book was about me! (Narcissistic much?) So many times throughout this book I said to myself, "I have thought this thing exactly!" There are definitely books I felt I could relate to, but never a book that so closely paralleled my life as this did. At the end of the book I cried (Chapter 9 is specifically heart rendering for me), and I can't imagine that the ending would bring many readers to tears as it did me. Part of the reason for my tears was that, although this was supposed to be a "happy ending", I did not find it to be so. The "happy ending" I speak of is not the one you would imagine with a title like "The Man of My Dreams," but I'm pretty sure literary critics and most leisurely readers would define this ending as happy in a variant way. For me, though, it felt like a sad ending.

I want to write a letter to the author (and I would, except I know the letters get screened through handlers and would never make it's way to the author) and ask her, "How did you know this was my life when you've never met me?" I want to hand this book to people I meet, along with people I already know, and say "Read this. You will gain a better understanding of me."

This is a modest and unassuming book. I don't mean to suggest otherwise. This is not a life-altering book nor, even for me, a book that is a revelation of an idea you had yet to consider. At the same time, I haven't felt this way after reading a book in a very long time. And for that, along with putting into words things I can not, I am grateful to the author.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man of My Dreams.

Quotes Melissa Liked

Curtis Sittenfeld
“...but then I think how I grew sick of kissing him. How can you spend your life with a person you're sick of kissing?”
Curtis Sittenfeld, The Man of My Dreams

Curtis Sittenfeld
“When I think of Henry and Oliver and Mike, I feel as if they are three different models - templates, almost - and I wonder if they are the only three in the world: the man who is with you completely, the man who is with you but not with you, the man who will get as close to you as he can without ever becoming yours. It would be arrogant to claim no other dynamics exist just because I haven't experienced them, but I have to say that I can't imagine what they are. I hope that I am wrong.”
Curtis Sittenfeld, The Man of My Dreams