Kayla's Reviews > Song of the Sparrow

Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell

3119530
I was assigned to read this book as part of the YA Best Overlooked Book Battle 2011, hosted by Alyssa over at The Shady Glade. At first I wasn't sure what to think; I'm just starting to get into historical fiction, and this didn't sound like something I'd ache to pick up on my own. But by giving it a chance, I was pleasantly surprised.

Song of the Sparrow follows Elaine, the only girl in an army camp full of men. She's grown up there, away from the limitations that were enforced upon women at that time, free to roam as she pleased, though still not allowed to fight for her country. As a result, she's often left behind, alone, as everyone she knows and loves marches off into battle.

I loved that this novel was written in verse. I didn't know that until I began reading, and verse books are something of a guilty pleasure for me. The smooth way the lines flowed, the way each thing that came up was so beautifully described through Elaine's perspective, kept me coming back for more, wanting to read on and on. I couldn't get enough of it.

The characters in this book, though the minor ones dimmed in comparison to Elaine, were great. Each held true to their own purpose, and won me over, whether they were good or evil. I liked reading about how Arthur and the other knights were brotherly toward Elaine, working for her best interests and trying to protect her. And I loved how she in turn wanted to protect them, though sometimes this meant disobeying them and doing dangerous things.

The legend of King Arthur is one that I know well, though never before have I read something like this. It was a refreshing take, told from a female perspective, and actually made the women heroic, for once, instead of having the knights take all of the glory. That little 'girl power' addition fit in nicely.

All in all, this book was practically perfect to me. I read through it very quickly, loved every moment of it, and wish there was more. The ending was brilliant, the characters witty and captivating. I highly recommend Song of the Sparrow, even to those that do not normally read historical fiction. I don't, and this only encourages me to read more. Though I may be disappointed; I don't know what can live up to the standards this has set. I give it 5/5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Song of the Sparrow.

Quotes Kayla Liked

Lisa Ann Sandell
“My sparrow, she flickers and wakes and sings and sings. ”

~Song of the Sparrow”

Lisa Ann Sandell
“It should begin with friendship, I think. Suddenly I cannot look at him.
It should begin with friendship and truly knowing who a person is, knowing his flaws and hopes and strengths and fears, knowing all of it. And admiring and caring for- loving the person because of all of those things...
I know that now.”

Lisa Ann Sandell
“And at that moment, a lilting melody lifts to the moon as a single sparrow sings.”

Lisa Ann Sandell
“Child, think not of those things, those dark possibilities. Your father and brothers are here with you today. Lavain will tug at your braids, Tirry will sing you songs, and your father will see his wife's beauty in you. Savor their love today. And it will never leave you.”

Lisa Ann Sandell
“The birch trees loom ahead like a brotherhood of ghosts. ”

Lisa Ann Sandell
“What place does a woman have here, in the realm of men?”

Lisa Ann Sandell
“Still, I look down, and the grass is so green, I cannot understand how it does not wither and die with sorrow. But against the emerald carpet, the warriors make war, and it is like a dance, almost beautiful, always macabre. The noise brings me back, the fearsome noise of swords striking swords, a metallic clanging that rings in my ears, echoing and echoing the fearsome din of men screaming and crying as they meet the sharp ends of blades. ”