Don's Reviews > 90 Minutes in Heaven: A True Story of Death & Life

90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper

Nov 30, 11

bookshelves: life-living, non-fiction-truths, bringing-up-children, children-begging-readers-with-paren, economics, good-god-books
Read from July 07 to November 30, 2011 — I own a copy

I liked this book very much as it held my attention and caused my mind to imagine many things and possibilities.
Jesus only spoke of the afterlife three brief times, yet modern evangelical Christianity plays the fear and death card up front, as if it's what Jesus talked about all the time, as if the whole point of Christianity is where you go when you die. Jesus rarely mentioned death and the afterlife. He spoke constantly about having Life real, rich, abundant, and eternal. He talked about what the kingdom of heaven is like, where it is, what you can do with it now, and how to enter it an live. Death, for example is mentioned by Jesus only only a couple of times (as defeated) in John's Gospel, but Life is front and center: nearly fifty times.

I have no doubt that Piper had a real experience that changed him forever. My concern is that he's merged his experience with his own theological ideology and personal experiences, focusing on death and the afterlife via his testimony. Is death and the afterlife the focal point of Christianity biblically? no not really!

Most of this book describes not Piper's "90 minutes in heaven" but pain, depression, recovery, and his present mission to tell his story. He had help writing it, but it doesn't show. It's rather wandering and repetitious. The good news, however, is that it's a quick read. It's a compelling story, admittedly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 90 Minutes in Heaven.