Heather's Reviews > Ella's Wish

Ella's Wish by Jerry S. Eicher

Jul 25, 2011

it was ok
Read on January 01, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This is more of a rant than a review..

In Little Valley book two, there are so many inconsistancies, it honestly frustrated me. It's kind of insulting; it makes me feel like Christian publishers think we're all too stupid to follow a storyline, so they don't take the time to edit and proofread like some secular publishers do, and that really bothers me. If anything, more detail should be put into the proofreading process. I've noticed that all three books will be released this year (2011), but I would honestly be happy to wait longer for a book to be released if that means the storyline is in proper form.

Example One:
Within the first chapter of "Ella's Wish", Ella and Clara are talking about her age. The whole reason Ella and Aden were not married in book one was because she had to be 21. She states that she is 22 but later in the book it is stated that she is twenty one again. This can be found on pg. 7 & pg. 225.

I cannot find the page, but I know in the first third of the book it makes mention that her house had burned down at some point, slowing construction. This NEVER happened in book one. Daniel comes racing in to tell her that there was a fire at a grain silo and would not be able to help build on the house, this is it.

Lastly, on page 235, Preacher Stutzman says, "Like at Aden's funeral, I was hard that day because I was thinking only of myself and that Da Hah had also taken Lois."

Lois was not dead at the time of Aden's funeral in "A Wedding Quilt for Ella", the first book in the Little Valley series. She was the third death in the book, so his apology is a moot argument because his reasoning for giving a harsh service at Aden's funeral hadn't even happened yet.

I really wish Christian publishers would put more time and heart into their fiction, instead of just assuming we will buy anything with an Amish girl on the front and accept it as Gospel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ella's Wish.

06/20 marked as: read