Jonas's Reviews > The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz

Jun 24, 08

bookshelves: fiction, history
Read in June, 2008

Well, didn't make it all the way through this one as we were listening to it on audio book on a road trip and whenever I'm not driving I tend to nod off, but this is in no way due to the content of this amazing story. Bouncing back and forth between New York/New Jersey, The Dominican Republic and Cuba, The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao tells the story of overweight, uncertain, suicidal Oscar, whose sex life peaks at age 8 as well as the stories of his sister, his mother and two more generations whose paths have been adversely affected by a "fuku" a bad juju curse dating back to the dictatorship of "El Jefe" Rafael Trujillo.

The narration is fresh and in your face, ripe with plenty of gory details of torture and brutality, so if language or violence offends you, this story won't suit you, but these instances are necessary in depicting an era in Dominican history considered the bloodiest dictatorship of the 20th century.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.