Verena's Reviews > The Troubled Man

The Troubled Man by Henning Mankell

F_50x66
Jul 07, 11

Read in July, 2011

Amidst the hoopla about Swedish detective novels, most notably Stieg Larrson’s trilogy, I discovered that Henning Mankell is a notable author who has created the Kurt Wallander character. I saw several excellent BBC dramatizations starring Kenneth Branagh as Wallander and I wanted to get better acquainted with this complex character. I probably should not have chosen Mankell’s latest and final story about Wallander. At 60 years old he is feeling his age as he reviews his life, questions the choices he has made, worries about his health, and most of all, fears death. The plot, which concerns spies in the Swedish military, seems almost secondary to the sadness he feels about his past – the difficult relationship with his father and ex-wife, the remorse of a lost love, and anxieties about his future. The birth of a granddaughter is one exception to his gloom and doom horizons. Maybe previous books would have better prepared me for the denouement of Kurt Wallander. I plan to read more of the Kurt Wallander novels, but not right away.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Troubled Man.