Annabel ♥'s Reviews > A Great and Terrible Beauty

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

Dec 07, 11

bookshelves: adore, i-cried-or-almost-cried, writer-is-amazingg, all-time-fav-s, idea-is-genius, lol, no-shit-heroines, ya-books-that-i-love, review, cover-love, why-didn-t-i-read-this-earlier
Recommended to Annabel ♥ by: mom
Recommended for: anyone!
Read from July 09 to 14, 2011

BEST SERIES EVER.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Great and Terrible Beauty.

Quotes Annabel ♥ Liked

Libba Bray
“No one asks how or what I am doing. They could not care less. We’re all looking glasses, we girls, existing only to reflect their images back to them as they’d like to be seen. Hollow vessels of girls to be rinsed of our own ambitions, wants, and opinions, just waiting to be filled with the cool, tepid water of gracious compliance.
A fissure forms in the vessel. I’m cracking open.”

Libba Bray
“There are no safe choices. Only other choices.”

Libba Bray
“I run after her, not really giving chase. I’m running because I can, because I must.
Because I want to see how far I can go before I have to stop.”
tags: life

Libba Bray
“Shall I tell you a story? A new and terrible one? A ghost story? Are you ready? Shall I begin? Once upon a time there were four girls. One was pretty. One was clever. One charming, and one...one was mysterious. But they were all damaged, you see. Something not right about the lot of them. Bad blood. Big dreams. Oh, I left that part out. Sorry, that should have come before. They were all dreamers, these girls. One by one, night after night, the girls came together. And they sinned. Do you know what that sin was? No one? Pippa? Ann? Their sin was that they believed. Believed they could be different. Special. They believed they could change what they were--damaged, unloved. Cast-off things. They would be alive, adored, needed. Necessary. But it wasn't true. This is a ghost story remember? A tragedy. They were misled. Betrayed by their own stupid hopes. Things couldn't be different for them, because they weren't special after all. So life took them, led them, and they went along, you see? They faded before their own eyes, till they were nothing more than living ghosts, haunting each other with what could be. With what can't be. There, now. Isn't that the scariest story you've ever heard?”

Libba Bray
“Because you don't notice the light without a bit of shadow. Everything has both dark and light. You have to play with it till you get it exactly right.”

Libba Bray
“Felicity ignores us. She walks out to them, an apparition in white and blue velvet, her head held high as they stare in awe at her, the goddess. I don't know yet what power feels like. But this is surely what it looks like, and I think I'm beginning to understand why those ancient women had to hide in caves. Why our parents and suitors want us to behave properly and predictably. It's not that they want to protect us; it's that they fear us.”

Libba Bray
“I wonder how many times each day she dies a little.”
tags: ann

Libba Bray
“There's a lot about discovering who you are and how difficult that is. And it never stops.”

Libba Bray
“What happens if your choice is misguided?' I ask, softly.
Miss Moore takes a pear from the bowl and offers us the grapes to devour. 'You must try to correct it.'
'But what if it’s too late? What if you can’t?'
There's a sad sympathy in Miss Moore's catlike eyes as she regards my painting again. She paints the thinnest sliver of shadow along the bottom of the apple, bringing it fully to life.
'Then you must find a way to live with it.”

Libba Bray
“How I'd love to get away from here and be someone else for a while in a place where no one knows or expects certain things from me.”

Libba Bray
“I am staring into the hissing face of a cobra. A surprisingly pink tongue slithers in and out of a cruel mouth while an Indian man whose eyes are the blue of blindless inclines his head towards my mother and explains in Hindi that cobras make very good eating.”

07/13/2011 page 280
69.0% "on page 280"
show 1 hidden update…

Kate Kerrane Anne,
Wow! This is a fabulous Goodreads post! Would you mind if I shared it as an example? Your writing is wonderful and I'm licking my chops (figuratively) with the anticipation of having you in reading/writing classes next year.