Carol's Reviews > A Cup of Friendship

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in July, 2011

A Cup of Friendship

The beginning of this book held my interest and met my expectations of learning more about the culture, traditions, and struggles of the Afghans. The author wrote about customs forced on women in this area and the way they are treated, which provided much food for thought and heightened my gratefulness for living in a country of freedom and opportunities. However, as I read further, it became a lighter read, leaning more toward chick-lit. I have no objections to these types of novels, but the predictability in this one took away some of the pleasure of reading for me. I still enjoyed it, but was hoping for a more challenging in-depth story of the tragic conditions of this country. I did not find it to be a page-turner, but I liked the characters, and appreciated that as the title indicates, friendship among a wide variety of people can be found in a coffee house miles away from each of their homes. It was also hopeful to picture that there are real people in the world trying so hard to help those who are less fortunate.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Cup of Friendship.