Rachel's Reviews > Sirensong

Sirensong by Jenna Black

Jul 15, 11

*****Review contains spoilers from Glimmerglass and Shadowspell*****

Knowing Sirensong was the last book in the Faeriewalker series, I had high expectations since there were still so many plotlines to wrap up and problems that needed solving. I had lots of questions at the start of the book, such as:
How was Dana going to find a way out of the Erlking's bargain? Can Ethan really handle a relationship knowing him and Dana can't go all the way? Would Dana's mother finally snap out of it, and admit she's an alcoholic? And what's the deal with Keane? It appears as though he likes her in the previous books, but will he ever tell Dana how he feels? And then there's the issue with the Queens of Faerie- how is Dana going to get them to believe she's not planning to kill them?

That's alot of problems to fix in just one book, and I'm happy to say that I think most were solved in a satisfying way. There were a few events that I wish had gone a bit differently, but overall I like how everything turned out.

First, I liked the character development in Dana, and how she's accepted that she can't save everyone and that she's capable of looking out for herself(and can also stand up for herself, even to the most intimidating people.) And I really felt for her whenever she had to deal with her mom. I could feel her frustration and anger, as well as the hurt. I'm glad Dana didn't let her mom off the hook, that she finally spoke her mind and was honest with her.

I'm also glad most of the book took place in Faerie, since it was the first time Dana (and therefore us) got to see it. And I love all the scenes with the Erlking. I think he's a fascinating character that remains so mysterious, and things automatically get more interesting when he shows up.

However, there were also a few things that bothered me. For example, from what we've seen in the past two books, it seemed like Keane was interested in Dana, but he switched his attention to Kimber pretty quickly. I just wish he'd expressed his feelings towards Dana more. Second, I wish that Dana and Ethan got more time together alone. I get that on the journey to Titania's palace they're surrounded by other people, which makes it hard to find time to be alone together, but I still wanted it anyway. Also, while the main issues in Dana's life were resolved, there will still some things left unanswered. It seemed like the ending was a bit incomplete.

Other than those problems, though, I loved the book. It had plenty of action and drama, and there were still a good amount of sweet and romantic scenes between Dana and Ethan. And although the ending was a tad abrupt, I think Dana's in a pretty good place at the end of the book- she knows who she is and what she wants and can finally look forward to the future. I'm sad the series is finished, but I so hope Jenna writes a short story (or anything really!) set in the Faeriewalker world.

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sirensong.