Elisquared's Reviews > Dead Is the New Black

Dead Is the New Black by Marlene Perez

3220698
Jul 07, 11

bookshelves: fiction, supernatural-paranormal, ya-middle-grade, owned
Read from April 11 to 14, 2011, read count: 1

I picked up Dead is the New Black at my local Salvation Army. I didn't know what the book was about and I didn't even know it was a part of the series; instead I was drawn by the title and cover (as I often am). I felt the premise was an interesting one, a whole family of psychics except for the main character Daisy. This is important because Daisy ends up in the middle of a supernatural murder investigation.

I love Daisy. I love her tenacity, how she's determined to help her mom solve these strange murders even though she isn't psychic. Her voice rings with laughter and sighs with romance, the typical teen girl syndrome. But that is exactly what makes Daisy so relatable, and had me cheering her own the whole book. I think if Perez had made Daisy psychic from the start the book, character-wise, would have changed the entire feel of the story.

All the supporting characters are great. I think Daisy's sisters, Poppy and Rose, (I love that they all have flower names) are nice juxtapositions to Daisy. Poppy is super outgoing and Rose is super responsible, two things which Daisy is not , but I believe this helps make Daisy seem even more average and helps give the ending a bigger impact.

The supernatural elements of the story are good, but I think it takes too long to hit the climax and reach the conclusion. The discovery of who what and why needed to come at least a chapter earlier, but overall the plot was solid and leads into the other books in the Dead Is series. I can't wait to find out more about Daisy's escapades!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Is the New Black.